is there any way to increase the mpg that this car gets?

45

Asked by Dec 13, 2007 at 05:23 PM about the 2000 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE

43,905

Really the only things you can do are the basics -- full tune-up, new air filter, etc. I have used or read about a lot of the supposed "fuel saving" devices and most are not what they are cracked up to be, or just a total waste of money. You're probably not going to get much better than the estimate MPG from the EPA estimates/window sticker.

125

Ha! I wish. I get 11 or 12 mpg in my 95 County LWB. That's with a brand new 4.6 liter installed. Change oil, change air filter, and drive conservatively. You may get better MPGs with higher octane gas- experiment a bit.

45

higher octane gives the car better performance and better mpg

135

one thing you can do is install a high flow intake kit. although expensive ($265 for mine) i've found that driving somewhat conservatively, my average mpg has increased by about 3 mpg (i calculate mpg at every fill up). If you get one, i recommend a K&N kit. try for the one with the plastic tube instead of the metal tube (cheaper, quieter, better insulated). Tune up and regular oil changes do help though. another thing you could do is when going under 45mph open windows instead of using a/c but over 45mph do the opposite.

8,375

You're car is designed to run on a specific octane rating. If it recommends premium, run premium... However contrary to popular belief high-octane does not equal high performance. Actually if your car is tuned to low octane you will get better mileage with a lower octane fuel since it has a higher caloric value than premium (more energy stored in it). However premium has more additives to help clean the engine, which over time can improve mileage if your engine is dirty. An intake cleaner will do the same thing quicker. (Not the little bottle you put in the tank[although that helps slightly]) They run through a vacuum line (easiest to do is the line off the brake booster) and down through the intake plenum and into the engine, usually combine with the little bottle in the tank for best effect. Seafoam is the typical answer here. Additionally make sure your filter(s) are all in good shape...air, fuel... Also make sure your plugs and wires are in good shape.... There that about covers basic maintenance... Maintain your car in good shape and it'll run better than if you treat it like shit... Aside from that there isn't much you can do that is cost affective.

175

engine swap for a smart car engine :P no but seriously theres not much man

205

There are several things you can do that will help your mileage, but the driver is the largest component of achieving better mileage. 1) Inflate tire pressures to the maximum sidewall pressure while they are cold. This WILL have a detrimental effect on ride, and possibly handling, but it will improve your mileage. 2) Switch all your lubricants to synthetic oil. Have the differentials, transmission, and engine fluids all replaced with a good quality synthetic like Mobil 1 or Redline. Unfortunately the added cost of synthetic engine oil may outweigh its mileage improvements. 3) Remove all unnecessary weight from the vehicle. If all you do is drive around town then get rid of the spare, jack, and lug wrench. Keeping the fuel tank at half will also help save weight. Gasoline weighs around 6-7# per gallon depending on temperature so with a 24 gallon tank only half full you'd be saving another 72-84#. Combined with ditching the spare tire that's over 100#. May not sound like a lot but in drag racing losing 100# is good for going .1 second faster in the quarter mile. As I mentioned the DRIVER is the largest factor in improving mileage. 1) At stop lights put the vehicle in Neutral and shut it off. 2) Put the vehicle in Neutral and coast whenever possible. 3) It requires geometrically more horsepower to go faster, so keep your speed at the limit or below. 4) Use your cruise control as much as possible. 5) If you're in a 45MPH zone figure out how far you have to press the gas pedal to go 45 MPH on flat level ground. Hold the pedal at that height even while up hills. Your speed will drop but you will be using a constant amount of fuel. If you have to come to a stop when you restart press the gas pedal no farther down than you were before. You can save more fuel this way than you can with cruise. Consider getting a diesel next time. Vehicle for vehicle they get better mileage despite the higher cost of diesel.

35

Chris, i was under the impression, that it takes more fuel to start the motor than to keep it running, tho to an extent. Because the motor needs an extra shot of fuel to get going, and a retarded timing, then it auto advaces the timing.

205

In older carbureted cars this was the case but with modern EFI this is no longer so. Particularly with Sequential EFI as it only injects fuel into one cylinder at a time.

55

I have a 2001 4.6 SE, honestly I was averaging 15.5/20 mpg today, I even got it up to 23 mpg at one point, you just need to keep you're engine running clean, keep a very steady foot try not to do any sudden acceleration or going over 2k rpms. It should gift you with some good gas mileage and yes I confirmed the gas mileage by recalculating again and taking the same route back, its amazing how a car can suddenly be what you want it to be when you treat it right.

5,175

Cruise control helps a lot to improve mpg in my experience, and of course keeping your car serviced well, that includes checking tyre pressure on a weekly basis (often overlooked). And above all don't use short trips and stay out of stop and go traffic. The worst thing for fuel mileage is a cold engine or frequent acceleration and braking.