Engine shuts down abruptly

Asked by Dec 12, 2012 at 09:43 AM about the 1994 Subaru Loyale 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon

Hi,,I have a 1994 Loyale and it starts up and runs for a couple minutes, surges up and down several times and shuts downas if I turn the key off. It will start right up and go through that sequence over and over , each time running a little longer. the car ran real good this summer but when it got cold, it startd this. HELP!!!!!!!   Bob

595

Surging Subaru engines usually mean a sticky throttle position sensor. There are several suggestions online for cleaning these, from simply pouring Seafoam into intake and running engine (creates A LOT of white smoke, you've been warned!), to taking it apart and cleaning/soaking it manually (can be tricky, don't lose any parts!) I'd start w/ the simple (Seafoam) and work my way to the more complex procedures if necessary. Good luck.