A/C compressor will not engage

10

Asked by Aug 10, 2014 at 04:17 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight 4 Dr Regency Elite Sedan

A/C system had a freon leak. Replaced accumulator nd o-rings added 3 ozs. of PAG oil.  pulled vacume for 90 minutes.  Added on can of R-134A, startted engine turn on climated control and compressor did not engage.  Checked low pressurre switch (jumped terminals) and compressor did not engaage.  Any ideas?

93,175

Loss of compressor voltage, compressor clutch coil circuit open.

66,305

Bad compressor relay? HTH. -Jim

10

Gents, thanks for your relies. I think first I need to determine if there is 12 volts going to the compressor. There are two sensors on the back of this compressor (High pressure and ???). I need to rule these our as causing the no start condition. If there is power and the sensors are good, I will run a jumper to the clutch to determine if this items has failed, if good then I'll move to the electronics. Is this a good path or have you seen this condition. Thanks for you help. Doug.

66,305

Sounds like a good plan of attack, Doug. The other switch on the back of the compressor is most likely the low pressure cut out. HTH. -Jim