My 92 Olds 88 Royal LS runs great unless you get into traffic. It acts like it is overheating and then the car starts surging and losing power.

20

Asked by Apr 02, 2017 at 04:41 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4 Dr LS Sedan

120,345

Maybe it is overheating - service the cooling system.

20

I changed the thermostat and did a complete flush of the system 2 weekends ago. I let it run for 10 minutes and the temperature gauge never moved. I thought that had solved the problem. But the next day in traffic coming home from work, it did the same thing. I have change the 3 coils on the top of the car, that did not help either. Does anyone know anything else it could be?

81,475

Check to see if the coolant is low and that the radiator cooling fans are coming on. HTH. -Jim

20

All fans are coming on and I did a back flush and filled all coolant levels and changed the thermostat. Same results..

81,475

Not sure if your 3.8 would have an issue with air being trapped in the cooling system like the newer ones. But it's a thought. The water pump comes to mind. If this is a higher mileage vehicle you may be looking at a worn timing chain. If the timing chain is worn or has jumped a tooth the valve timing will be retarded (late). This will cause the engine to run hot and even boil over when shut off. You'll also experience loss of power. If you have a valve tap it may be a knock sensor problem. The knock sensor retards the ignition timing of spark/knock is detected. With a valve tap the knock sensor can hear that and severely retard the ignition timing. HTH. -Jim