CAR STARTS EASY, BUT WON'T HOLD AN IDLE & DIES OUT

115

Asked by Oct 31, 2012 at 01:05 PM about the 1992 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight Royale 4 Dr STD Sedan

CAR HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A FEW YEARS. THE IN TANK FUEL PUMP & FILTER HAS BEEN REPLACED. THE FUEL INJECTORS WERE TAKEN OUT & CLEANED. NOW THE CAR STARTS EASILY, BUT WON'T IDLE. CAR ACCELERATES SMOOTHLY. THANKS FOR ANY HELP !  1986 OLDS. DELTA 88 ROYALE  3.8 V/8

33,675

Has the gas been replaced?

115

YES, TANK WAS EMPTIED & FRESH GAS PUT IN. WHEN THE NEW TANK PUMP WAS INSTALLED W/ NEW PUMP STRAINER & FILTER.

33,675

Check the idle air control. Looks similar to a C battery and its black on the throttle body. Pull it off clean it really really good with carburetor, or brake cleaner. It may be gummed up or stuck shut in its closed loop mode and that would choke the engine with gas.

115

THE IAC HAD HI-RESISTANCE. I REPLACED IAC & PUT A BOTTLE OF LUCAS INJECTOR CLEANER IN THE TANK. I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM OF DIEING , NOT HOLDING AN IDLE ! WHAT ELSE CAN I CHECK ?

33,675

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Get the gauge hooked up and get it to run at the lowest rpm you can. Come back with the rpm and vacuum it pulled

Best Answer
115

I FOUND A MAJOR VACUUM LEAK, SOLVED THAT & IT'S IDLE IS MUCH BETTER. NOW I'M DEALING WITH SUM MINOR ELECT. PROBLEMS ! THANKS

33,675

Nice where was it leaking and what are the electrical problems?

115

VACUUM LEAK WAS MAIN LINE GOIN BACK TO BRAKE BOOSTER. NO TAILLIGHTS, BUT HAVE BRAKE LIGHTS. NO FRONT TURN SIGNALS & NO DASH LIGHTS. COOLING FANS DON'T WORK .

80

My car stalled out & wouldn't crank so I bought a new starter and it crunk but now it runs rough if it stays running what else could it be

Nina, what do you mean by "it stays running??" A bad starter shouldn't cause it to stall. If the starter was the problem, then it simply wouldn't start. Also, what do you mean by "running rough??" Can you be a little more specific?

10

ok, for starters the 3.8 liter is a V6 not a V8. My 1989 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham, was having trouble staying running while I was driving, the following is what I did to get it back up and running. 1. replace spark plugs/wires, 2. Ignition control module, 3. coil pack, 4. mass air flow sensor, 5. 02 sensor, 6, air intake sensor. once I got these done, it fires up perfectly every time. if you do it right (autozone rewards program) you can get some free in store cash for use later, I put a cold air intake system on my car after all that.

100

hey Heith, I have an 89 olds calais, v6 3.3, the car has been sitting for 15 years, put in a fuel pump,filter,plugs,wires,fuel regulator, TPS, coolant temp sensor, the car runs great once its warmed up and starts pretty good but has a hard time holding an idle and it seems to be getting worse, im wondering if it a vacuum leak, brakes are an issue so maybe something with that

100

also i can hear a hissing sound

I hate my Mother-Fucking Car & Fuck- Nigga sold it to me for 1,400 & I got Jacked I'll see if some one wants it for 600.00$ & I'll make sure I let them know all the problems, With my piece-of-shit 95 Oldsmobile Royale 88

Where are you