99 Olds Eighty Eight - Had a brake job done 2 1/2 years ago. Chain repair shop replaced brake pads and rotors on front cost $273. Brake pads had a life time warranty. So I took the car back when I heard pads grinding. They called and said that the pads are free but I needed new rotors. Wait...just bought those rotors, can you turn them...they said it was too thin to turn and the right side which wasn't as bad was too thin. How can that be if they were the original rotors I bought from them and they were never turned? Had to pay another $263 for new rotors and they said the pads were free and under warranty. I'm about ready to report them.. Am I wrong?

Asked by May 04, 2016 at 06:55 AM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 4 Dr LS Sedan

293,725

You are not wrong, that's how the brake and muffler shops make their profit. Giving you "free" pads but charge you to replace other parts. They don't uses quality parts that last long either, they want you back in. They gave you a service and you paid for it, nothing to report really. Next time you have brake issues, go to your local mechanic.

By beef is just that. That is price gouging. Selling inferior parts at a 100% markup over retail. Not telling you upfront that the part is a lower quality with only a one year warranty. National chains in my opinion, have a duty to provide quality parts and/or telling the customer that they are using parts that are not standard. How can a consumer tell if the parts, especially brake pads or rotors, that are not visible to a customer, are sub standards or low quality? When you go to a brake, tire or muffler shop that is a national chain, they should have a duty to a customer that the parts used are quality. All the slogans...ads....and marketing used tells a consumer that they stand behind their parts....when in actuality they don't. That is why I will probably report them. The rotors which I have are sub quality and should not of been too thin to turn. They said they have a one year warranty but how could I have check them when they were installed on the vehicle. Its a sham...you are right... Just tired of it....

Up date.... Well I received an email asking for my opinion of my recent visit. So I gave my opinion .....all of my opinion regarding gouging prices of sub par parts..and so on. Yesterday I received a phone call from the manager who said he felt bad about my experience and wanted to refund me the cost of the rotors...so I did get a $163 back.. I feel better, but I imagine in about 2.5 years I will have to replace both again. Now..they also did my rear brakes...hmmmm . I don't want to think about it.