Why won't my 2007 Camry start after reaching operating temperature?

20

Asked by Jan 28, 2017 at 08:17 AM about the 2007 Toyota Camry XLE

My 2007 Camry with 4 cylinder engine starts fine every time when leaving the house.  But once it reaches normal operating temperature and I stop for a short time it will not start right away.  The starter still works fine but it usually take  several minutes or more of trying various cranking iterations to get it to start.   This does not happen every time but probably 1 out of every 2 or 3 times.   When it does finally start, it chugs a little as it is starting like it's not getting enough fuel.  Is this most likely a fuel problem, either a relay or the fuel pump?  If the car sits for an hour or more, it generally starts OK.

2,540

Your instinks are prabably correct. Any warning lights on or flashing? The fuel delivery system should be checked with a fuel pressure gauge.

20

last_chance, thanks for the interest in my problem. The only OBD code I read with a scanner is P0171, which I always thought was the rear O2 sensor, but reading up on OBD codes it is obvious this is too lean fuel mixture issue. Given the problem I am having with unable to start after having driven for awhile, does this point more clearly to a fuel pump problem? The OBD notes say it could also be a partially plugged fuel filter and a number of other issues, including low fuel pressure, And given that the car runs fine sometimes for hours on long trips, does this mean the fuel pump is just worn and can't build the initial fuel pressure back for starting but is Ok once running??

2,540

Yes. The only way to confirm our suspect FP is going bad is to test the system with a FP Gauge....or.....replace the pump.

2,540

Jeff....did you ever resolve the issue with this vehicle?

20

No, I read that the fuel injectors could be leaking and therefore bleeding off the fuel pressure. This leaves the cylinders with a too rich mixture to start right away so it requires cranking over and over until the mixture leans out. I looked for a schrader valve or other easy spot to install a gauge and could not find one....

2,540

If you do not have an external fuel filter...and....plastic fuel lines...you will need the appropriate fittings to SAFELY get into the fuel system with FP gauge. If the injectors were leaking...you would see big clouds of black smoke on start up. Check engine oil for evidence/smell of gas before proceeding with any other diagnosis.

2,540

Jeff..did you ever resolve the issue with this vehicle?

20

No, not resolved yet. Been too busy so we are living with this for now. The problem only occurs when the car has been driven long enough to reach normal operating (i.e not long), and then is shut down for APPROXIMATELY 5 minutes up to ABOUT 30 minutes. I have not actually timed, but basically long enough for a short shopping stop etc. Stopping to refuel does not cause this to occur. But if we stop for longer periods like a hour or more it always starts right up. From an indirect response on one of the threads on this site is where i got the idea of leaking fuel injectors. The engine has to be turned over enough to flush out the excess fuel that has leaked through the injector(s). Hence by the time it actually fires, it chugs a little and then come to full rpm but no black smoke since the fuel mixture is back to normal when it starts. I just changed the oil and no indication of gas in oil. I can't come up with anything else that would cause this to occur only in this short window of time. If I pull the injectors is there a simple "tightness test"?

2,540

You really should have a Fuel Pressure Gauge installed to check for leaky injectors. A bad fuel pressure REGULATOR will cause this same problem. Unfortunately I believe the FP Reg. is in the Tank along with the Fuel Pump. There are other possibilities to explain this issue...but...they usually result in a Check Engine Light ON and a stored code. Has anyone checked the condition of the Spark Plugs...and...the Throttle Body for excessive carbon deposits?

Jeff....did you ever resolve the issue with this vehicle? I have the same Problem!

20

Yes problem solved about 2 months ago....finally found a shop that could check the fuel pressure. Not sure how they did so without a schrader valve or any port on the fuel system. But they found the fuel pump was putting out low pressure all the time. Apparently not so low that the car would not run, but low enough to not start right away after stopping for a short time (10 to about 30 minutes). So the shop installed a new fuel pump and I have had zero issues since then. I did not inquire as to why this was the issue but definitely solved the problem. Hope this helps!

2,540

Very interesting. Thanks for the update. BTW. Your issue with this vehicle is once again a reminder of what i was supposed to learn in my very first training class on Fuel Injection. "If the Fuel Pressure is not right...nothings right".