07 Toyota Camry won't always start

Asked by Dec 29, 2016 at 02:11 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry SE

So purchased a used 07 Camry SE over a month ago. This past week I
noticed when I go to start the car, nothing happens. I have power in the
car, such as radio, dashboard lights, etc. But the engine doesn't turn over. I
would try a few times and finally starts up. This only happens once in a
while, but now it has happened again, but for almost 5 mins until it finally
turned over. Spoke to the dealer I purchased it from, he said it sounds like
the key. Any ideas?

What Engine/Mileage? Did you happen to notice any Warning Lights ON/Flashing when the Engine did run? Is there an extra key you can try?

2.4L engine with over 116K miles. No warning lights are sounds before or after engine started. Everything seems normal except for the starting. Only have this one key. Thanks...

Is it possible that the Battery is near dead? You might consider a proper "Jump Start". Careful now....improper jump starts can cause big $$$ repairs. Check the Engine Oil Level before you attempt any restarts. These Toyota Engines are known for excessive oil consumption. The Dealer should have addressed this issue before they sold you the vehicle. Get back to us with results.

Never had a problem with power. I will have the battery checked tomorrow. I will let you know. Thanks for your reply.

So had Firestone check the battery while getting oil changed today. They said battery is good.

OK...well....sounds like we have to go back to square one. When this vehicle does not start....can i assume you mean the Engine does not CRANK Over...not even a Click sound from the Starter Motor? And...since you made it to Firestone,.....this problem is intermittent? The Battery tests "good"...so we are back to a Key issue. I find it hard to accept a Dealer would sell a vehicle with only ONE Key. You might have to hire a Lock Smith ...or...make a trip to a Toyota Dealer to have an extra key made...and...have both programed to communicate with the security system on the vehicle. BTW..did Firestone happened to notice how much OIL was in the Engine before they changed it?

When the camry doesn't start, the engine does not crank over, and no sound from starter. The problem is intermittent, but is happening more often. It happened once today already after bringing it to Firestone. I should of asked up front about number of keys that come with the used car. Is it possible to buy a key on the internet for my model car and program it myself, or does a dealer need to do this? Firestone didn't mention how much oil was present before the change.

When you buy a key from the internet....it will be a key "Blank" which will then need to be cut to operate the vehicle key lock cylinder. Then the key must be programed to communicate with the security system on the vehicle. So theory indicates you should be able to buy the correct key blank...have it cut to match your present key...and program said key yourself. Problem....your one and only key does not function all the time. So....assuming the root cause of this issue IS a Key problem...I would be inclined to hire/call a Locksmith who can sell you 2 new keys.....cut them....and program them.

I will be purchasing an uncut key online, then have locksmith cut and program it. Ill follow up once I have the new key and make sure it solved the problem. Thanks for your help so far.

Ok...message received. Let's hope that will be the..... START.....of a good year.

So it ended up being a bad starter. Wasn't the key or battery.

Wow.....interesting. Well...I guess we took a wrong turn some where......the key thing got us off track....We should have stuck with a basic diagnostic procedure. Most times a no crank is diagnosed with a Voltmeter. We do "Voltage Drop Tests" within the Start Circuit. Properly performed...we can pinpoint the root cause of a no crank issue. OK...we all learned something from this one. Thanks for sharing and good luck.