1991 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4 fuse

Nancy Williams

Asked by Oct 28, 2012 at 06:08 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Standard Cab Stepside SB 4WD

My boyfriend decided to connect a paperclip to the fuse outlet that keeps blowing. He had the 4wd in gear then he
started the truck and the paperclip caught fire and disintegrated. I don't know what he was thinking when he did that.
Anyway, he can't seem to fund the short but we know there is one. I think he should take it to someone who knows
what they're doing. But he's a DIY'er just like me, but I know my limitations.

He has fried the tccm now. There are reasons fuses blow, if he doesnt know that then he needs to take it to someone who does

Nancy Williams

I just have one more question. Can running the truck at very low speeds for a long period of time have caused the problem I'm having? I'm just trying to figure out how it could happen.

Travis Yager

i know this isn't helpful, but it's more than a year ago, and if feel like sharing that i am currently LAUGHING MY ASS OFF. Thank your for lightening my evening, I do hope, however, you managed to fix your issue

Nancy Williams

No it hasn't been fixed.

Nancy Williams

But I'm glad I made you laugh.

Travis Yager

ok, well my best guess, is that the negative return, from the fuse to whatever it's for, has rusted, or worn away, thereby grounding itself. with how cars are designed, this means nearly ANY metal part can ground a wire. if the man in question is still determined to fix this issue, he'll have to follow and maybe rewire the WHOLE circuit from bettery, to fuse, to unit, and THEN to a ground. good news is, it's a 91 so the engine and dash compartments shouldn't be too crowded, like newer cars.

Travis Yager

sidenote, Andrew, your first responder, may be right, it is very possiable he's done damage to the TCCM, or even worse the PCM

the pcm in this case will be fine. The norm is a pinched wire or faulty transfer case control module (tccm). But now anything before the short is burnt out including the wire itself. Insulation has been burnt off in places i'm sure. The good news is now you can follow the burnt wire untill its not burnt anymore and there is your short. Someone who is handy with a volt/ohm meter would be able to trace the short down