Why does the emergency brake light stay on but the emergency brake or hill brake or whatever you wanna call it isn't engaged ? Could it be a sensor ? Or a malfunction ?

Asked by Oct 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab RWD

The emergency brake like stays on
all the time and I can't figure out how
to get it to turn off. Somebody know
what's going on with it ?

70,135

The emergency brake,is controlled by cable to the back brake shoe,s,not pad,s on the rear of your truck,they are inside the hub,if you haven,t replaced them it may be time to do it,when they wear out,this is why the light is staying on,may be as simple as adjusting them,if they are not worn.This will get the light to go off.

70,135

diagram

70,135

One more thing ,make sure brake fluid is full.

it could be a couple of things. I own a 1994 K1500 Silverado and my brake light came on but when I engaged the parking brake it became brighter. long story short I found it to be heat related (ABS computer rectangle box next to master master cly) finally a GM mechanic diagnosed my problem and disconnected the lower pin assembly. all the abs controlled was the rear wheels only and how many years had I driven with out ABS rear brakes, I was asked. Do you know the cost to buy this piece of electronic control is any where from $600.00 to $900.00 even a salvage yard knows this. The other issues I had was brake light staying on push the parking brake on the light got brighter release the brake and grew dim. also the cruise control didn't work (drove me nuts-couldn't find trouble). had problem with transmission not shifting properly and you might know where it went into default (2nd gear) I was 200+ miles from home 30 miles from a hole in the wall town on a camping fishing trip. this problem would come and go and the last day as we were leaving I thought it is going to be along ride in 2nd gear it started working and I didn't shut it off until I pulled into drive way. did research found transmission sensor bad. it is located on my truck at the tail end of transmission pair of parrot nose pliers used carefully will remove and replace if no wrench available. hope this helps.