What will stop the fire from the fuel pump

Asked by Feb 25, 2014 at 09:16 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Scottsdale Extended Cab LB

35

Do You mean its not running? If so did you check the Fuse? Most likely the pump stopped working, but its important to make sure it has voltage & a good ground.

315

Check your fuel pump fuse, then check the fuel pump relay. You also can then check your ecm fuse which is also under the dash. I take it that your engine is turning over. I just encountered a similar situation and found my ecm fuse was blowing due to a short. If you do not have any blown fuses you can check the voltage at the fuel pumps power supply/ connector with a volt meter and your ignition (key) turned forward.

20

Check your oil pump sensor/module (OPS). It is the a prime villain with this truck. The OPS is Fed mandated to be wired so it can control the fuel pump in case of head on collision. However, I had the same problem with my 1990 Silverado v8 5.7 engine. My compiled research pointed the OPS as the problem. The OPS is good for safety purposes, however, when it goes defective or damaged from a crash, it shuts down the fuel pump to prevent a fire. The only recourse is to replace it. When I installed a new one, my truck fired up like a brand new vehicle. I warn you though, that rascal is not easy to get to and remove, at least on my truck. I cursed every day for two weeks until I finally got it out without cause any collateral damages. Let me know if this helps you.