92 Chevy k1500 problems!!!

270

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 10:20 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Standard Cab SB

I have a 92 Chevy that won't take off or peel
out after being stoped at a stop sign and
plus it won't go up a hill like it should, I have
to floor it and when I do that it only goes
about 20 to 35 mph up that hill.. can
someone help me???

10,225

Sounds like a 305 haha. 4x4 should have the 350 hey. You said like it should? You've noticed a power decrease or compared it to a similar truck. Need to no a few more details to help, the list of possibilities right now would be large. You could check a few simple things first. Change the fuel filter (possible blockage). Does it miss at all. Does it rev up freely in N or P or is it sluggish. White smoke in your exhaust. Plugged cat/muffler

270

Yeah a 350.. no misses it revs up freely, white smoke just when I first start it up, is there a cat on a glass pipe, at least he told me it was glass pipe???

10,225

Depending on your axle gear ratio, and tire size it may not be able to spin off the line even if there wasn't a problem. Mine has a rebuild with moderate RV cam with 3.73's and 31" hancook's and it wont spin of the line. 20 to 35 driving up a hill is another story. Few more things to check, cause it sounds like there is only issues when you put a load on the motor. --If you have a timing light check the timing. Usually if the ignition fails on this truck it wont even start so I'd start with the fuel system. --Pull the air cleaner off and run it briefly both injectors should spray equally. (have had one die once while the other worked) --Check the fuel filter, check the fuel pressure. Next is the EFI sensors/system --Check for any vacuum leaks on the vacuum hoses on the motor. Unlit propane torch works. It will rev up as it sucks in propane. --Check the map sensor. The vacuum line may be cracked. --TPS? haven't had replace one yet? The fuel filter is cheap and should be replaced. They are cheap but invest in some line wrenches so that the tubing fittings don't get damaged. Don't want to have to replace the fuel lines. Will be located on the inside of your frame under the back of your cab.

270

Changed the tps sensor and not yet changed fuel filter, both injectors spay equally, it starts and idled fine it just going up hill and taking off.. but going change fuel filter and have someone check timing chain and check cat convert... Thanks!!! I will post if any different when any changes... Thanks once again!!!

10,225

I'm still leaning towards a fuel pressure issue. Under no engine load it takes less fuel to achieve high rpm. As you add the load you will need more fuel to achieve the same rpm. I've seen many filters plug or restrict fuel flow. Try it. If that doesn't help then I would test your fuel pressure both at idle and under load. Low pressure would mean it's the pump or the fuel pressure regulator on the throttle body.

235

As the others suggested, I'm pretty sure your fuel filter is clogged. They clog suddenly.

how easy is it to replace rear gears in a 1992 chevy k1500 pick up truck

10,225

@flaminsevens I would assume you mean the crown and pinion. It is easy if you have the right tools, but I wouldn't try it without them. You need a press, 1/2" drive torque wrench and a dial indicator set w/ mag base. You will also need basic hand tools to remove the wheels, drums, diff cover, driveshaft, yoke, bearing main caps and the old crown gear. I would also recommend a decent impact to remove the yoke nut. Most people also get the master rebuild kit when installing the gear set to ensure they have a "stock" of shims to achieve the proper gear spacing/wear and insurance incase a part gets damaged. You can get shims separately. You will need to look up the exact pinion depth and backlash requirements for your axle, 10 or 12 bolt, before you start (this is where the shims come in, to set these parameters). There are some helpful youtube videos if your mechanically able. If not I would hire someone for the first time and learn the tricks.

8,300

Reduce Resistances in your secondary ignition. Inspect your distributor for a degraded condition inside the cap. Replacing your cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, with the correct A/C delco parts will Save your ignition system. The ashes covering the distributor vent screens must be cleared. If your pickup coil is already crumbling, you can replace the p/u coil and module to prevent a no start condition in your near future. Since your vehicle exceeds 20 years of service, it is likely some of your performance is waiting for you in simple restoration with the correct high quality parts.

It doesn't slip at all or feel sluggish I and I can't put it in anything else but park because as soon as I press the brake pedal it kills the engine could it be they hooked the tow brakes up wrong or a shorted out wire

8,300

Thundercloud may have good success with a clean fuel filter. a fuel pressure and volume test, and the basic tuneup checks designed for a 92 350 in a K1500. there has been no mention of a code stored in the computer's memory or a pass code either. a truck that cannot climb a hill, but revs fine and makes plenty of exhaust either needs fuel or ignition tests. If he gets a haynes manual he can do the basic tune inspections and run tests. If he had some other concern with holding the truck from speeding up? Like brake problem of some type? he could coast back down the hill in neutral. To see if it was dragging. If he had a trans issue ? His codes may hold a clue. Being a 92, that's over 20 yrs old, it can be anything. he could get a road test with a tech at a shop to help define what exactly it is doing. I do not know where this mess of postings came from on this page, but they seem confused. like they were copied and pasted from elsewhere.

8,300

Recently, i discussed symptoms on a similar vehicle and found that over the 20+ years, the fuel supply hose was failing in his in tank fuel pump. This is why the tests are so meaningful. about fuel pressure and pre tune inspections.