My truck is shaking and vibrating in the front end. could it be tires are not balanced, needs an alignment, or what?

Asked by Nov 29, 2013 at 02:53 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Extended Cab RWD

Needs help fast

120,875

Could be any of the above. I would start with getting the tires balanced properly.

120,875

4WD could also be the bearing going bad.

19,425

Start with the easiest and most simple item to check and/or fix first. Did the vibration just start or has it been coming on? It could be a tire getting ready to let go. Sometimes hitting a road rut will break lose the tire casing and it will get worse until the entire tire blows out even if the tread is good. Start with a tire balance and rotation. It may even be a steering knuckle or tie rod ends, but not likely. Wheel bearings? Maybe. I had a vibration in my Corvette, and thought it was in the geometry but replacing 12 year old tires fixed the issue. I could balance them, but the vibration continued. I was told the core was starting to let go. Check the tire tread and see if it shows any unusual wear, which will indicate a tire alignment. If there is cupping on the tire, it is out of balance or shocks are weak. A "good trustworthy" tire store will help, but make sure "Bubba" isn't just trying to sell you tires.

5

had the same problem and fix it at home .. change your tie rods and your pitmans to the steering

19,425

I'm sure he got it fixed by now, at least I hope. I really would like to hear what the final outcome was. Simple to get the tires balanced, and have the other front geometry checked as well. Like I said above, it may be the balance, or tires, or bent rim, or ...

10

i have a 1998 c1500 3 door and when my truck is on park it dont shake but when i switch it to drive it starts shaking y iz that when i step on the gas it shakes a lil bit but when Im braking slowly it shakes bad what can it be?

take it to a garage and have them do a diagnostic and tune up, it could be the engine going bad and seeming to be tire balange/alignment. think about it it only shimmies when you accelerate

19,425

Oscar, it may be wheel bearings, or driveshaft bearings. Driveshaft out of tune/balance? tire needing alignment or bad tire getting ready to let go. Have the front steering system checked. If it was your engine going bad, it'd vibrate when sitting still. It may even be transmission issues. Start with a tire check and balance. You say the engine shakes? Engine mounts or transmission mounts?