1990 reatta, the back of the two seats come forward with slight touch, is this safe?

Asked by May 28, 2013 at 01:39 PM about the 1990 Buick Reatta Coupe FWD

I am afraid the seats are broken, as there is no latch on the back of the seats.  I was
given this wonderful car by my uncle and want to take good care of it.  Thanks heidi

8,015

they usually do not lock unless if a sudden stop makes the pendulum swing into lock position.. same as my 89 riviera.

dear jason, thanks for your answer, should I have them checked to be sure that the pendulum is working can a good mechanic tell ? Thanks for your help. Heidi

8,015

not necessary, sometimes it would lock if i drove around a SF hill. in that case, i would use the bottom latch to release the seat. ..at that age, i'd be doing more preventative maintenance with the drivetrain. transmission oil & filter, fuel filter, sparkplugs & wires, coolant, hoses, and rubber parts. preserve the leather seats & dash with leather preserver.. lanolin ingredients help.

Best Answer Mark helpful

thanks again. I will take your advice on the maintenance. Your great. Heidi

8,015

also, it is best to look in the owner's manual in the glovebox for the maintenance schedule. happy motoring, J