1990 reatta, the back of the two seats come forward with slight touch, is this safe?

Asked by May 28, 2013 at 01:39 PM about the 1990 Buick Reatta 2 Dr STD Coupe

I am afraid the seats are broken, as there is no latch on the back of the seats.  I was
given this wonderful car by my uncle and want to take good care of it.  Thanks heidi

Jason Zane

they usually do not lock unless if a sudden stop makes the pendulum swing into lock position.. same as my 89 riviera.

dear jason, thanks for your answer, should I have them checked to be sure that the pendulum is working can a good mechanic tell ? Thanks for your help. Heidi

Jason Zane

not necessary, sometimes it would lock if i drove around a SF hill. in that case, i would use the bottom latch to release the seat. ..at that age, i'd be doing more preventative maintenance with the drivetrain. transmission oil & filter, fuel filter, sparkplugs & wires, coolant, hoses, and rubber parts. preserve the leather seats & dash with leather preserver.. lanolin ingredients help.

Best Answer

thanks again. I will take your advice on the maintenance. Your great. Heidi

Jason Zane

also, it is best to look in the owner's manual in the glovebox for the maintenance schedule. happy motoring, J