do the security light on the dash board have something to do with the car not starting?

Asked by Apr 11, 2013 at 03:43 PM about the 1998 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr STD Sedan

my car wont start but the security light comes on flashing i just wanted to know is there a wa y to
diarm that light..i had an chirper that unlocks and turn the alarm on but i lost it and i just wanted to
know would that be the problem

89,855

It could be. I know a flashing "Security" light on my '02 Grand Am will not allow the engine to start. I turn my key to the "On" position and wait for ten minutes until the light stop flashing. The car starts normally then. You car may be the same.

31,005

Try to start it and leave the key on, in 10 minutes the security light will go out and you can shut the key off and start it. Your ignition (not the key but the lock cylinder itself) has a security resistor in it and as it gets older the connection goes bad and the resistance changes so the security control module has to be reprogrammed to accept the new resistance.

31,005

Hey Tenspeed, our posts are 28 seconds apart lol.

89,855

At least we both had the same answer so there's a good chance that we're correct.

My Corolla has two anti theft systems the factory one with the red light will go out as soon as I put the key in don't have to wait or even turn it, and it has a KARR Dealer installed anti theft with a blue flashing light that does the same. But you guys are talking GM. My Regal had that did exactly what you guys describe but still got stolen,,,In all the years before I got it From Dad there were 3 keys made duplicates and I think whoever stole it had one of those keys that were floating around god knows where...and found where I live..what I will never understand is why they torched it, it was worth a good deal of money to a chop shop only has 62,000 on it.

Had. Past tense.

89,855

I remember your posts trying to first find the Regal then the despair of finding it burnt and tossed aside. -- GM keys are not all that exclusive. If someone loses their keys, have everyone else try their keys to open the door. The keys and the wafer tumblers are made of brass and are subject to wear. If they are close, you can move the key around to get the wafers to allow the plug to turn. -- I worked on the machine that trimmed the wafers at Rochester Products. Ten sets of keys were cut at the same time - meaning ten cars out there had the exact same keys. A key went in the plug which pushed the wafers out. A grinder trimmed all the wafers and the plug went into the barrel. A paw was attached to the end and the lock was ready to be sent to the factory.

Hey, I just learned a lot right there. Thanks.. I cried like a baby, Dad is 92 and it was the last car he ever bought, we, the family, were trying to figure out how to get him to quit driving and he saved us a lot of what could have been unpleasant things by making the decision himself, and gave it to me.

i have a 1993 buick park ave after I crank it up an go about 2min.. it starts to idle like im idling the car in drive it wont move an in reverse it wont move. but after I turn it off an restart it it move great in forward and reverse after about 5 mns my security light pops on an it shuts down but after I turn it off an crank it up it does find

My husband has a 1991 buick park ave. We just put a new radiator in it we drove it n my brother in law drove it too later in the morning he try to start it up but it won't start n there no flashlight for security... need help