when I turn off my car it won't turn back on, I have to let it sit a while then it starts what could it be?

Asked by Jan 18, 2014 at 05:31 PM about the 1994 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr STD Sedan

the battery has to be newer than five years old~older batteries will not take a charge very easily and will not have full potential....the main ground connection from the battery to the chassis ground needs to be wirebrushed free of any corrosion and re-assembled so three hundred cold cranking amps can get though and solid Ground to the chassis, lights...windshield wipers etc~

the starter/ignition relay needs a solid 12 volts to hold the contacts closed...the reason you've got to wait is the "memory effect" that 12 volt automotive batteries will have (cept maybe not so much so with the new tin/antimony ones)~

New battery should fix it~

...and wirebrush the end of the 1/0 black cable that attaches to the chassis....that should make it right~

20

I have a similar issue. But battery is new. Can be driving, and run in for coffee. Come out turn key & nothing. Everything else works. I shift through gears, move steering wheel up & down. After several times doing this, the ignition finely comes on to start. It could be months before this happens again. Anyone know why?