My 1989 Buick Park Ave 3800v6 has been running fine, on the way home the other week, my car stalled while driving, It started up fine then died again, after a few more attempts it started and ran fine. Drove a few hundred more miles, and it stalled again, as I was pulling over I was trying to give it gas, when it made a large boom sound, blew the exhaust apart at the clamp and caught the ground on fire underneath my car, we moved it from the fire, Just a little char from the burned up oil underneath, Nothing electrical burned, Car is still ok, besides the exhaust needing to be put back together.. What could cause the stalling, and choke and backfire? I cleaned the MAF and throttle body the night before this incident.

Asked by Sep 28, 2014 at 12:17 PM about the 1991 Buick Park Avenue Ultra FWD

The car has stalled out twice, gasping for air, first time I shut off ignition and waited and got it started again. Second time I was pumping the fuel too many times and it back fired and caught the ground on fire and undercarriage excess oil... What could be causing it to stall in the first place? It has fuel in the fuel rail, New fuel pump and filter, but it is almost like its suffocating from lack of air. Please any honest direction you could point me in would be great. On a minimum budget  Thanks

75,295

The catilac converter may be stopped up causing ecm to dump more fuel then needed,therefore flooding the engine with excess fuel and dumping it in to the exhaust.