Starting problems

130

Asked by Jan 05, 2012 at 06:44 PM about the 1991 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr STD Sedan

Hi Guys,  I’m new here and need some help. Here’s what I have;
A 1991 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl, starts sometimes, runs when it feels like it then quits for no reason. New parts installed; Ignition coil pack, Ignition module, Cam sensor, Collision sensor computer, Fuel pump and Prom. Used Computer installed under dash (passenger side) tested good (I have 2 more that have not been tested). This car was bought new by my mother and has 125K on it. Always taken care of and dealer serviced. At this point I’m  wondering if it could be something to do with the “resistor” key and related contacts for the security system? I checked the resistance and it came up as .68 k on the ohms scale. Is that within normal range for this vehicle? I’d greatly appreciate any input you guys could give me on this problem.
Thanks, Jim

75

Hey Jim, Yu might hav changd yur ignition coils but wat abt da plugs..?? The spark plugs being old may hav some carbon coating on them which hinders yur smooth ignition. Sorry if i wasnt right. Jus gav my thought..! ;)

130

I appreciate your thoughts, thanks. I did get it to fire up today and it idled fine. After a brief warm-up I ran it up to about 2500 for about 15 seconds then let off the gas. It fell back below idle and quit. At this time It seems to have a problem (no idle without dieing). I bought a can of CRC MAF Sensor cleaner and some injection cleaner which I will try tomorrow. I really appreciate your response, anything you guy throw out there may be the solution I haven't thought of yet. Jim

45

the maf sensor has a gasket around it that sometimes doesnt seal and when it heats up it allows a vaccum leak n causes the car to idle n die. thats the problem i have due the exhaust pipes running right under maf sensor housing. try replacing that gasket n see.?

130

I'll keep that in mind. I did get it to throw a code indicating the throttle position sensor was bad. I replaced it and drove it around the neighborhood a few times, took it out and ran it up to 60, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that was the problem but until I get current plates on it I can't really get out and run it around. That's my project tomorrow. Thanks

135

i would look at the spark plugs to see if there firing right then i would look at the wires and the look at the coil pack again if that all good then it either MAF or there could be a vacuum leak if there a big enough one it will stall the car out after that check that the fuel filter it good i know when they go bad they go bad then check the MAP sensor it keep trap of ur vacuum and that can make ur car stall out as well i know other stuff just can't think right of the top of my head

130

The car started and ran perfect for 1/2 hour while I was driving it. I drove it back home and shut it off. Within 15 seconds I tried starting it and all it would do is crank. I hooked up a timing light and it has no spark.at all to any plug wire. This damn thing is driving me nuts! I researched VAT and PassKey security system problems but from what I could find it seems these systems kill the gas pump not the ignition. Can anyone confirm this?

30

Did you check the crank & cam sensor.