Changed Maf senor, crankshaft, fuses, spark plugs. fuel filter and ignition modulator and the car starts but only runs about five mins. before stalling. No engine light comes on. No bad codes show up. Can't find any bad hoses. My mechanic teacher has looked and we can't figure it out. I am a student and can't afford to fix much more and nothing I have spent money on has worked so far. When I first put the maf in the car worked great for about a week but the transmission was still skipping

10

Asked by Apr 10, 2015 at 09:47 AM about the 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom

Changed Maf sensor, crankshaft, fuses spark plug fuel filter and ignition modulator. Checked hoses. No engine light comes on no bad codes show up.  After replacing maf the car worked great for a week but still skipped in the transmission..  NOw it starts and runs five min. before stalling.  Sounds great for the five mins.  My mechanic teacher has looked over and we are stumped.

65,935

Sounds like the original problem was with the transmission. Most likely a shift solenoid. GM transmissions are troublesome with their shift solenoids. As for the current stalling go back over the work you've done to the engine. Possibly one of the new parts you installed is defective. Your school should have a scan tool that can capture "freeze frame" data as your driving. When it stalls see what's going on. My first guess would be the IAC. HTH. -Jim

10

Nothing showed up when we did the scan tool. Does it matter what brand senors you buy? Are there certain things that can go wrong that don't show up on the scan tool?

65,935

It doesn't really matter what brand you buy but you get what you pay for. There are things that can go wrong that won't trigger the check engine light so there'll be no trouble codes. If the stalling is happening as you approach a stop light or at idle check for a dirty/malfunctioning IAC or dirty throttle plate. Be sure you clean them and you should be able to see what's going on with the IAC using a scan tool. The IAC position will be shown in points (numbers). You should also be able to view the throttle position using the scan tool. The throttle position sensor will provide that information. HTH. -Jim