car won't start but making a clicking sound

Asked by Sep 18, 2013 at 05:50 PM about the 2003 Buick Century Base

I had problems with my car on the weekend and a boost got my car started. After having it looked at I needed a new battery and that was it. Now that I have the new battery in, it won't start. It makes a clicking sound and then stops. What could it be?

...okay what you must do is disconnect the black cable that attaches to the fender/chassis ground...this 1/0 black CABLE has to pull three hundred cold cranking amps at the very least and had corroded now because everytime the car is started it creates a BLUE little spark between the dis- similar metals (the lug [brass]) and the ground (steel) this accumulates slowly with every spark until it is marginal...the sad part is YOUR ECU uses this ground to make the critical decisions as ignition and fuel pressure from the pump...surprised it even ran with the amount of corrosion that you'll be facing with your coarse wirebrush~...good luck~

98,565

Like the judge stated check your connections. While you are doing that recharge your battery, before you reconnect the last battery cable put a test in between the battery post and the cable connection, if the test light lights up then you have a battery draw and you will have to find the circuit that is causing the problem, if no light then reconnect the last cable. Then turn on your headlights and try to start the engine, if the headlights go out then you still have a bad connection, if they don't and the engine starts then check for proper alternator output, it should be around 14.2 volts at idle. HTH

260

My car makes a clicking sound but won't start but I turn the ax comes out and lights as well wat could this be please help

60

You may have a bad connection at the starter solenoid or a bad starter.

50

my sons car is making a clicking noise and won't start, it started the other morning he drove it down the road forgot something I'm back to the house turned it off got back in it it started for a second and then died we just had the fuel pump changed out on it not even a month ago. we rented a diagnostic tester and hooked it up last night but it did not read that anything was wrong he switched out the spark plugs that didn't work so now we're down to what could be wrong before we try to take it in the shop again :(

98,565

Puckett72. You will get more responses if you start a new post with this problem. But have you checked the voltage at the starter? It is clicking so we know that it is getting power to the solenoid from the ignition switch, you might try tapping on the starter while some holds the key in the crank position, if it starts to crank then you have a bad spot so replace the starter. And you mentioned it just died and no codes, and you had just recently replaced the fuel pump, so check for fuel pressure at the test port, this can be done without the engine running, just install the gauge and turn on the key, no pressure means that you could have a bad fuel pump, fuel pump relay or a broken circuit. These usually don't just die with no reason, so look it over while your testing, proper voltage and grounds are really important, especially on computer controlled vehicles. HTH

40

Why is my car cranking over and not starting?

40

My car won't crank I got a jump it started then the battery symbol went back down and the car back dead I waited an hour to crank it I'm getting a clicking sound is it my battery or my altenator

When you turn the key if it's making a clicking noise then it is your starter

10

i just replaced my starter in my 95 buick century before it was try to turn over but wouldn't so i went ahead an replaced the starter but now it still doing the same thing and the starter is new so what should i do i don't have to money to keep putting into this car