My Town & Country shuts down (stalls) while I am driving.

Asked by Aug 29, 2013 at 08:29 AM about the 1996 Chrysler Town & Country LXi

My Town & Country shuts down while I am driving. There is no pattern to when it shuts
down. I may drive 20 miles with no problem and other times it will shut down 5 or 6 times
within that distance. Had it to the Chrysler garage for repairs and $1400 later the problem
was still there. Two different reputable mechanics and another $1200 later the problem
still remains.  This problem plagued me for 6 years and no one has been able to resolve
the issue. Don't want to sell this car and give someone else this problem.  Wouldn't be
ethical.
Can anyone help?

215

It could be something as simple as a bad battery. I have sold well over a 1000 and owned 10 myself and my experience has been that when the battery starts going bad they do just what you described

890

I have had the same issue. The problem is getting worse. It quit on the road 4 times. Always in the 20-30 mph range. The stabilizer light goes on, then power steering fails, breaks do not respond. Have to pull out key and restart. It has been getting worse over the last 6 months. Mechanics have no idea and say diagnostic check out fine. What do you do! I try 4 kids around in this thing!

220

Same issue here. 2010 Chrysler Town and Country 63,000 miles. Dealership has replaced computer module and throttle control. They assured me it was fixed and they were wrong again!

290

i have the same issue with my 2008 town and country. it's not the battery... had that checked. had spark plugs replaced, that didn't fix it either. left it at the shop for a week so they could try to figure it out and none of the test revealed anything wrong. this is an extremely frustrating problem especially that this is my only vehicle and i am a mother of 3. i'm scared to go anywhere!!

320

I had the same problem with my 2010 Town and Country. They replaced the egr valve and it now runs like a new van. Worth a try and it was covered under my warranty.

90

i don't have an answer , thats exactly whats happening to my 1997 town and country and I think you are right is the EGR valve or the little house the goes to it im going to check that thank you for the idea

110

Ask your mechanic to check the crankshaft positioning sensor. We had this intermittent problem forever until we were able to get the error code.

170

recalls for the ignition modules look to be the problem, but they don't have the parts to fix it yet.

410

My 2008 Town & Country began stalling 6 or more months ago. Three dealers and many calls to Corporate later, the car is still dangerous to drive. In fact, I refuse to - and I don't want to sell or trade and let someone else get killed dealing with it. I ended up in the left lane of oncoming traffic today because it stalled during a turn. Someone could have been killed. Why are we, as consumers, allowing Chrysler to blow us off??!!!? I think a class action suit is in order. This is an extremely dangerous fault!!!

190

I have the same issue i have 96 chrysler town & country and it shuts off while driving took it to diffrent mechanics and still cant find whats wrong with it and ot is scary driving with 6 kids in the car help please!!!

140

Get your egr valve looked at. That was my problem.

170

I will just add to the list here. I have a 2010 T & C and it does the same. Stalls intermittently while driving.........can be anywhere......its in the shop now over the weekend. They could not replicate the problem. They did read the internet and saw many instances of the EGR valve being replaced and suggested they may try this. I will update their diagnosis and if it was fixed next week.

170

It may be the case that the EGR valve is bad but I've read reports of peoples cars shutting off which sounds electrical where as the EGR would affect the idling and wat not. Let us know what happens.

20

We are having the same problem with an additional symptom... when it stalls or when we have gone out to start it, everything works but the gas gauge doesn't. all lights, radio, horn, etc... goes on and when you turn the key the engine turns over but will not catch. When it stalled going down the road there was no consistency of conditions(like it happens when speeding up or slowing down only). Ours is an '87 in great condition.

405

2010 T&C Mini Van..... cars shuts off while driving 20-30mph. Never has happened on hwy. Slip light on dash comes on. Exactly what happens when the recall for L25 was explained. I am the second owner so when this started happening I read about L25 recall brought it to the dealership and was excited to have it fixed just to find out it was already fixed. Now I am puzzled and more upset. Seems like there is a need for another recall after reading all the complaints. The man at the dealership said it could be the win module, a $800 PART.... oh then first to figure out if that what it was he wanted to charge me $110 to me diagnose it. Wtf again... for a vehicle that barely 5 yrs old seems like they should be paying for this. ``` fyi to all those this is happening to.... first complain, complain and complain! ***** Second a lil advice. When this happens. Just put car in Neutral and restart key, and car will restart save yourself from trying to pull over @ a possible accident that Chrysler won't admit fault.... thats

890

I believe there is a recall now for this problem. We dumped the van - I can not afford to chase a ghost. But check, as I thought they now have recalls for Town & Country with sudden engine shut down.

405

Update.... after researching this isue more....my bro is a mechanic and I remember my engine light came on and didn't stay on but when it did ... low and behold we had a computer on us.... it read po404/po406 which coincidentally enough is the egr system (exhaust gas recirculater) hich can cause a vehicle to stall.... here is the code websites for info .....http://www.obd-codes.com/p0406 http://www.obd-codes.com/p0404 Has anyone had the engine light com me on? my bro is going to fix this. Part is less than 100$ bro is free :) I let you know if this works -JO from NH

220

Look at this guys post...very helpful to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OwrhVOHe1Y

80

We have a 2010 T&C, starting stalling out last year. Especially prone to stall in the first 10 minutes of driving when temps hover between -5C and +5C, and especially when humid. Only stalls out at low speeds. Scary. Drive 3 kids, have stalled in the middle of busy traffic. Had tune-up/spark plugs/filters taken care of. Still persists. Will check out EGR links. Glad it's not just me.

220

I have the same problems as the others on my 08. I am on SS and severe arthritis and can't hardly maneuver this van when it dies. I have to think fast and put in neutral to restart. I can't just dump it, I don't have anything else.

100

I have a 2001 t&c. This keeps happening 2 me!!!! I'm so upset over it because this is mine & my husband's only means of getting 2 work. My van just shuts off. Steering wheel locks up. It's so frustrating. Idk what 2 do. Can't afford a new vehicle right now . is this valve that every1 istalking about expensive??? Is it hard 2 fix???

220

I almost had an accident this evening. I was making a right onto a street and it died leaving me with no steering and I ran onto the curb, put it in N and restarted. On a 3 mile trip to my sisters the stupid thing quit 6 times!! Why would they keep making Town and Country vans without fixing the ones they have already made. I am ready to cause some static!! Who knows a good lawyer, picket the dealerships, etc. I am mad and I'm not going to take it any more!!

50

Does Chryler or Federal safety dept. take action after serious accident....? My car is 2009 T&C. I almost had an accident this evening. The engine stall while crossing a junction .... same situation, no brake, no steering. Almost hit the car in front of me. The 1st stall happened about 2 years again... then, it happen more frequently recently... it's the 4th times for engine stall. Call Chrysler customer service for complaint... but they seems not care.. I sent back for dealership for checking after last engine stall. They charged me over $300 for cleaning of electrical panel, but the problem didn't go away. 3 kids in the car !!

60

I had the check engine light go on about a year ago. turned the key three times back and forward and got the code that the egr valve was the prob. well the engine light stayed on and I just kept driving it. nothing was wrong with it shutting off. Well this year the van started acting funny like it wasnt getting gas and thought well time to replace the egr and I had to get inspected so found the egr on amazon for 30 something $. put it on myself (which i know I did right) well the engine ran good for a few days. I travel 80+ miles to work and then some around town here and there. I had also a smell of gas coming from the car when i got out. I found that the gas is leaking (not allot) from the top of the tank by the fuel pump. but started doing the stalling out while driving. I was told by a guy that works on cars that i can take the egr off and clean out where its screwed to the engine also that i should just replace the fuel pump and see where that goes. which i will do by Monday. i will let you know what i figure out. and im going to check into all the things that was post on here and other sites that i have looked on. 07 town and country

220

My husband had the egr took off and cleaned but didn't help. I don't think I mentioned that the stall happens at a slower mileage like when I am just stating out of my drive, slowing to make a turn or at a stop light and not over 40 or 50. As long as I have my foot on the gas.

50

We have a 2010 town and country and it also dies while driving. Usually within the first 5 miles. Never after it is hot. We replaced the ignition module which was part of a recall but not on this van. But it did not fix our van. Always starts right back up and usually will not die again that day. Just spent 625.00 did not fix it. This is crazy.

230

I have no answer yet, but I have had the exact same problem that many have described here. Car often stall shortly after you start a drive and are still at low speed. It stalls first and then 3- 4 seconds or so later, the traction warning light comes on. It then started stalling more frequently, once on the highway and several times at around 30 mph. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS. It is only a matter of time before someone gets killed in an accident. Independent technician and Chrysler dealer each have looked at it and found nothing. We have 133,000 miles on it and it was fine until two weeks ago. I called Chrysler and they are just giving stock answers and offering no help. It looks like NHTSA is not about to do anything - they will wait until multiple folks have been killed in an accident before doing anything. This stalling issue appears to be something different than the ignition switch problem some T&C vans have had. I am going to see if the local dealer will look at the possibility of the EGR valve or Crankshaft Position Sensor as possible causes. My heart goes out to the Moms driving kids and the retirees who can't afford the bills or steer the car when the power steering goes out. If you can get into a new car, do it!

60

I'm sitting on the side of the road with my children In my 2008 took it to the mechanic they checked everything that everyone named above. None of it fixed the problem. The mechanic said he has not a clue what is wrong. For me to take it to the dealership. But with everyone already saying they took it to the dealership and no change. This is crazy

230

We replaced the PVC valve as a shot in the dark since it does not throw off codes to the computer when it goes bad. After leaving the dealer following its replacement, it stalled twice. Since then, it has never stalled again. Don't know if that fixed it or not but I am glad the problem has gone away. It might be worth a try - it cost about $200 tor replace.

40

02 T&C had a fuel gauge problem. Would show correct fuel level when first started but would go down to empty while driving, then car would stall after about 5 minutes or so. Would pullover,restart it, and continue with journey. That was a week ago. Changed fuel pump/fuel filter and sending unit. Problem still persisted. Now its started stalling spontaneously after restarting it. Now finding out that the fuel injector wiring harness on these vans are put right next to exhaust manifold which would melt the wires regardless of the heat shields on them. I think this is causing electrical issues. Snipped a harness from a scrap yard and going to extend and crimp the wires away from the manifold. Hopefully, this fixes my stalling and gas gauge problems. Hope this helps someone.

30

I have a 2000 Plymouth Voyager that kept stalling at low speeds. I had to put it in neutral when I wanted to stop or turn and keep one foot on the gas and the other on the brake. I dealt with this problem for years and took it to a Chrysler dealer many times for this problem. Eventually, the manager at the Chrysler dealership suggested changing the wiring harness. That fixed the problem.

40

Never switched out the wires since I didn't see any problem with them. I did reinsulate them and moved them away from exhaust manifold. Fuel gauge still dropping slowly but car hasn't stalled out on me yet. Hoping it doesn't ever...

This happened to me repeatedly, until 1 time it would't restart. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Not 100% sure it was the fuel pump going bad causing the intermittent stalls, but no stalls for a few months.

40

Just had this happen today on our 2002. We had a new battery, new EGR and just fixed fuel pump and filters and so we were at a loss... turned out to be a simple loss PLUG to our cam sensor. Soon as we secured the plug, everything worked perfectly

20

Check the wiring to the crank sensor. Oil gets in and melts the wires together. Look all the way from the sensor to the harness by the transmission

130

Our 2010 Chrysler Town & Country has stalled out while driving 5 times in the last 4 weeks, almost causing an accident 2 of the times. We have taken the van to 2 outside mechanics and the dealership twice. They cannot find the issue and we have already spent over $1000 trying to diagnose the problem. Chrysler Corp. has been uncooperative. I guess they are waiting until someone is killed to care. We have 3 young children and this is so wrong that they will not take this seriously. We are considering taking legal action. Anyone interested in joining us...email me at ridgeinsurance@gmail.com. Maybe a class action will make them jump!

10

Same problem. Was driving 30-40 mph, stalls out, lost brakes, powere steering. Called AAA for a two. He said, it was probably the fuel pump. Fel wasnt getting to the engine so the engine, power brakes and steering went out. Towed it to the dealer, and it was the fuel pump. 2010 Town and Country. 55,300 miles.

230

Anyone who has a 2010 T&C, be sure to check your EGR valve. We tried fixing a number of things but the stalling continued until we replaced the EGR valve. Initially, we had all the same symptoms you noted without any warning lights going on. Finally, the EGR valve deteriorated to the place where it triggered a warning light. That, in turn, showed the problem was with the EGR valve. If you have random stalling, have your mechanic check the EGR valve. It cost us about $600 to have it replaced, unfortunately. But all has been well since then. Also, in addition to the stalling, the engine seemed to be grabbing slightly (the best way we can explain it), especially in the first mile or two after we turned it on. If you have that, it may be the EGR valve as well as that has gone away since replacing it.

10

I'm having similar problems to most of the other posters. I'll no doubt try some of these solutions, but first I am going to dump a bottle of "Heet" into my gas tank. More than once, over the last 50 years that I have been driving, problems such as these have been solved by chemically removing water from my gas tank. Heet and other similar products do a good job of this and ensure that your fuel pump has fuel, rather than water, to feed your engine. Most of the time (for me at least) this problem has occurred following a major seasonal change when condensation issues have surfaced.

40

Same exact issue with stalling on our 2010 T&C. Took it to a good mechanic and they couldn't diagnois, then the check engine light finally came on months later, it was the EGR valve. Had it replaced this week and no issues yet. I did notice that the car would hesitate slightly and that is consistent with this issue. If you are noticing slight putter or hesititation, I would guess its the EGR value....

130

I've had the same thing happen to my 2010 T&C. My husband fixed the EGR valve & low & behold it just happened to me again in the worst location heading into another SUV. This certainly hasn't fixed the issue in our van. I'm also having issues of the transmission shifting extremely hard. I just sent an email to Chrysler directly & I suggest everyone should do this. Something needs to happen before someone is seriously injured. I am pregnant and have 3 kids under 3 in my car. NO good.

230

Apparently, the manufacturer of replacement EGR valves leaves something to be desired as our mechanic has replaced the original replacement twice more. Neither of the initial replacements lasted more than a month. So, there is a possibility the replacement your husband installed has gone bad. Our check engine light went on in both cases when the new EGR's went bad and we never had additional stalling. We had all the same symptoms you describe and these went away once the EGR was replaced. Sure hope you can get to the bottom of it soon. We were on the verge of getting a new car due to the safety issue when we finally got the warning light that the EGR valve was bad. It is very dangerous and I did not find Chrysler to be very helpful Since they just got an enormous fine for messing up on another recall issue, perhaps they will listen a little more closely to you.

130

Thank you for your response! It's frustrating b/c our expensive extended warranty didn't cover anything & my husband replaced it for 1/10 the cost. I'm sure he can do it again, but we'll now be out close to $400 I assume and over a week w/out a vehicle & making things work. I hope everyone can get their vehicles fixed & I just pray no one gets hurt.

10

My 2010 T&C has been in and out of the shop including the dealers several times for stalling/losing power/jerking. This most often happens during the first few minutes of driving and causes the vehicle to drop into limp mode. The code it gives is for the MAP sensor however we have replaced that twice. The mechanic has checked the wiring. The issue is getting progressively worse. I am curious about the EGR valve cited above and have talked to the mechanic about that. I will post here if and when the problem is solved.

170

Also Look to the Battery terminals for corrosion if your having your van stalling while driving. If they connection is weak and you hit a bump, boom and your car stalls. I had cleaned them and then a few months later the terminal had all but eaten thru the metal. Had to replace the positive side terminal to get it to work right.

30

Omg! Everyone is freaking me out here! Our 2010 t&c had been stalling out on us. It's always the first 5 minutes and really under 30 mph. It will work fine for a couple of months then boom it stalls a couple times a week. I just put it back in park and it starts right up. This is very scary with 3 kids 4 and under in the car! This is unacceptable all these people having the same problem!!!!!! This is serious!!!! Someone is going to be killed! What can we all do here?! Something has to be done! Should we call the news?! Troubleshooter?!

230

Get a new EGR valve and you car will be like new again. We have a 2010 T&C and have not had any problems since we fixed that (other than having to replace the EGR valve 2 more times because they were defective and had problems within a month of being installed. This last one has lasted longer so far).

30

I have a 2008 T&C that has been stalling, but also has a concurrent issue of not starting. Recently, stalled on the tollway when slowing down for toll booth and couldnt restart. The entire electrical went dead. Even the hazards. After getting pushed to the shoulder, it started and ran fine all the way home. Both problems have gotten worse this year. Dealer "cant duplicate." I'm furious!

170

One thing that I had over looked was a loose connection at the battery terminal I had to actually replace the whole connector on the end of the wire with a new one. Since I've seen no problems like I had before. SO I guess if the battery is not in direct connection with a running engine the car could shut down.

25

Bought a used 2013 Town and Country in July and now in August during a cold and rainy week, have had the van stall several times. Sometimes it happened when stopped and shifting gears. My wife had it stall when stopped at stop sign.

130

I have talked to Chrysler directly. They told me they have not had other's call on this issue & until that happens-they can't do any kind of a recall or even look into it. Please if you've had this problem-call them to complain. I actually sent an email & eventually after going back & forth w/ a Rep-asked to have a supervisor call me. Please call & make a complaint. This is extremely dangerous.

130

We also had our T&C back in the shop again for 3 days & couldn't duplicate the problem of course. this has only happened to me 3 times in less than 6 mths. we did change the EGR valve & it's happened once since then. We have to pay for it b/c it's not being covered under our extended warranty we paid for...i have no desire to continue buying this valve, but apparently may have to. David at Chrysler said if it's a part that is made by Chrysler causing the problem-they could look into it w/ more complaints. If it's an after market part-we need to contact the company directly. I'll be honest-I haven't checked this out yet.

10

I, too, called Chrysler and was told the same thing. I also complained to Chrysler that I did not like the fact that the dealership was wanting to charge me $1900 to replace the WIN/SKREEM module and PCM and could only tell me it MIGHT fix the issue. It is not right that we are paying for them to troubleshoot an issue they clearly have in the safety and design of the vehicle. I told them it was all over the Internet and the problem in tracking it lies with their algorithm they use to code and track the complaints. One customer service rep codes it as one problem while another codes it a different way, and so on. Thus, nothing will be done until some family is killed and some enterprising attorney researches the problem. I also told the woman I talked to when their solution was for me to have it towed, at my expense, to another dealer and pay for that dealer to evaluate it, that when someone is killed due to their inaction, I will be that family's attorney's most vocal witness. That comment was met with silence. After paying Chrysler Dodge dealer $250, I ended up towing It to my friend's house, removing the parts myself at less than 15 minutes each and sending them to Walton At Auto Tech in Laredo, Texas. He tested them thoroughly and could find nothing wrong, so sent them back, charging me $150. I am going over today to remove the battery and have it replaced (shows 10v on multimeter). It may be the battery and/or terminals as someone else suggested. Evidently the rolling codes the Chrysler dealer came up with were wrong about the WIN/SKREEM module. I suspect they never did basic checks such as my battery. I will let you know as I troubleshoot my own vehicle what I come up with. Btw, I am a female in my 50's with zero auto mechanical experience; however, the local parts store guy and You Tube have become my friends! Amazing what is on You Tube about this issue alone!

130

I'm so glad you've called Chrysler directly. My husband replaced the EGR valve so you may want to check that? I talked to my step dad today who is a mechanic & he said it could be the EGR valve & that it also sounded like a failed relay. I've also recently had problems w/ my van starting. this morning i turn the key & nothing. on the 2nd time it starts. since i'm not moving-this isn't as big of a deal to me right now as having a vehicle stall in the middle of traffic....however, it is happening more often. I told David at Chrysler I will never ever buy another Chrysler. I don't care what vehicle it is-it won't happen. It's very unfortunate there is no help. I hope more people call directly so there can hopefully be some feed back. I've contacted a lawyer, but nothing yet.

40

Having the same issue on my 2009 Anniversary edition Chrysler Grand Voyager (UK version of the T&C) it randomly stalls at low speed. Not battery, have done the fuel clean... tad worried it sounds like it will be expensive to fix but it's lethal. Stalled on holiday towing a caravan in France with 4 kids in the back!!!!

20

I am having the same sort of issue with my 2005 Chrysler t and c. I have taken it to Firestone and the Chrysler dealer here in phoenix and no one can find the problem. Any body have any idea how to fix this problem?

170

Read the above responses and you'll start to get a clue

30

A local mechanic replaced the both battery terminals. It is starting fine now and no more stalling. Kudos to the local mechanic! This makes sense since the cables were getting hot. Still having some bucking at low speeds, but I think that is a separate problem. Maybe its the EGR valve as stated above. I will have them check it out. Evidently, Chryslers will shut down if there is a bad connection.

20

Thank you all I am going to check out the EGR system. After, reading the above and watching the following video on how EGR system works, the reason some of you that replaced just the valve it could still be another component of the EGR system. Worth watching if you have time: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=AVC8qBwQlRw

2009 Grand Caravan SXT 4.0L Replaced the positive battery terminal that was corroded really bad. Problem solved. Had the ignition switch replaced twice by the dealer that didn't solve my stalling issue. Please check your battery terminals for corrosion first.

Could be some trash sucking up on the pump/sock in the tank. When you stop or vehicle dies, there is no suction, and trash falls off. The, it may be near or far from the fuel intake, so it might clog again soon, or take a while. Had a Tornado that did that. Had to pull the tank and really get the trash all out.

30

The problem seems to be electrical. The engine shuts down and everything else runs. So it possibly could be a relay.

40

Great news everyone - three weeks ago they announced a recall on this so you should be getting letters in the post soon. Just had mine fixed for free - will add details later.

40

The issue is the Keyfob system - needs replacing.

20

Ian, I am unable to find any mention of this latest recall on the web... Did you receive a letter from Chrysler regarding your vehicle?

30

I called a dealer. They heard nothing about the recall.

20

Thanks, Terry... I'm thinking that Iain might have been referring the RO3 recall from last year. My car's had that one done but the problem persists. Following the TIPM lawsuit details on the web --http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=DP14004&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true -- perhaps something will come of it but I'm not getting hopeful yet.

10

Much the same problem. 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan stalls while driving. It will start right up after pulling over. Since Nov '14 the van has stalled over 40 times (documented) and been into the dealer 5 times for a total of 42 days. It has cost us over $1500 and we were assured on 12/18/15 by the dealer the problem (after 2 new computers) was solved. We took the van to Chicago with the family this past weekend and it stalled 5 more times. We have a case # with Chrysler as well as having filed a report to the US Dot. I currently have another phone call into my customer service rep at Chrysler to see what they plan to do next. Yes, we did have the ignition key thing fixed several months ago. That was not it.

10

I just purchased a 2010 Town and Country 3 days ago and it has done this twice already. I called the local dealership and they said that Chrysler is aware of this problem with the ignition and are replacing it at no charge to the owner. Talk to your local dealership and get scheduled to get this fixed because they said it's going to be at least a couple weeks to get the parts. There is a national back order on this part because there are so many vehicles that this has happened to to fix. Hope this helps everyone out!

30

We purchased a 2010 T&C 3 and 1/2 months ago and this happened 3 times the most recent is yesterday while driving back from sick kids hospital.exactly like most of you are describing. Took to dealer and they said ABS module. I asked would this repair prevent any reoccurrence and they said they could not guarantee. I said I cant put my wife and kids into this situation and I called Chyrsler direct and have a case # 285-47284 and they said they have no similar cases on file. and no recall. I offered them to take it and test it and find the problem and loan me a car. They refused. I told them how can I sell this vehicle knowing it could kill someone. They said that is my choice. I said how many people have to die or get hurt before the HWY traffic act - forces Chrysler to step up and recall and or stop making this vehicle. I read a 23 rd old guy was killed because of this and it sicken me that all those times my wife and kids were driving on the HWY. It is obvious that they are getting out of the recall because nothing has remedies the problem therefore the problem is not isolated and there are many causes. HAZARD and Liability every time you pull out of your driveway.

30

I finally got the code reader at Autozone to diagnose MAP sensor......................................................fixed

30

I am glad I read these posts. I have a 2010 T&C and this just started within the last month. We have had the WIN module changed twice so I don't think it is that. I'm going to take it to my local mech and have him check out everything else listed above. I just got it back from the dealership and they said they think they identified it as a loose connection next to a thermostat housing - did not fix it. I'm not taking it back to a dealer because they never mentioned that this is a reoccurring issue that they had to be aware of...pissed. I'll repost when I learn more.

30

Update on my 2010 Town and Country. The Dealer offered help and they went to bat with Chrysler who said they will not extend any help !! The dealer Charged me $ 308 for the replacement of the EGR Valve not the ABS Module they suggested a week prior. If the part fails they will give me $ back and allow me to trade up to another kind of vehicle applying what I paid for the used 2010 3 months ago, Ill let you know if it happens again ! PS : I have updated my files with Transport Canada and spoke to my MP who is alos investigating and was the former President of CAW - Canadian Auto Workers Union.

10

Update by Scarpone: i did replace the battery - no money as it was under warranty. However, it was not the problem. Cables and connectors were fine. Ended up taking van to local mechanic. I mentioned my original concern to him of a module under the dash that was hanging loose and seemed to be shorting out on the underside metal section of the dash. He found a short in the wire to that module - soldered it and voila! Problem fixed for $110 of his time including changing out my all synthetic oil. So, $250 at dealer (they replaced a fuse, ran computer check, and misdiagnosed the problem saying it was the WIN/SKREEM and PCM), $150 to Auto Tech in Laredo, Tx for bench and vehicle testing my WIN/SKREEM, fuse box, keys, and PCM to find nothing wrong despite the "codes" the Chrysler dealer got (Thanks, Walt), and $110 to fix the problem that both the Chrysler mechanic and service rep told me it couldn't possibly be. So, basically it cost me $544 (including postage) and the loss of my vehicle for over three weeks to get a fuse replaced, a misdiagnosis from Chrysler, an all synthetic oil change, and a short found and soldered. Better than the $1950 Chrysler quoted me and would still not have fixed my vehicle. By the way, Walt from Auto Tech also sent me another PCM just in case, but I ended up sending it back to him so he didn't charge me. Postage both times was about $17 each (so, I included $34 in my total expenditures).

10

Clarification: my minivan is a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country, 3.8L. And, I had similar issues with a previous Chrysler T&C minivan and spent over $2500 with about a dozen trips including towing to dealer until it was finally fixed. A short in the dash, supposedly, was the eventual culprit - after spending over $2000 on things that evidently didn't need fixing. Hence, my unwillingness to fall into that trap again especially for a vehicle only worth $1500 on its best day.

20

I bought my 2008 Town and Country from CarMax last summer. I received a safe car notification, as there were no open recalls on the vehicle. It has stalled on me around 7 times, within the first 3 minutes of the drive. CarMax service has had it over 6 weeks, while I continue to drive my old but reliable Taurus. I have learned that the recall work for stalling was done the week before I bought the car, by a Chrysler dealership. CarMax, said it can't be diagnosed, and that it can't be replicated often enought to diagnose or even verify they have fixed anything. I took it back the Chrysler Dealership that did the recall work; they said they haven't replicated or diagnosed it yet; it's been 10 days. I feel I should be able to take it back to CarMax, and cancel my car loan for it. I spoke to a lawyer who just told me to keep him posted. He didn't even offer to car CarMax or Chrysler. I don't know what to do... Unbelievable.

20

I have a warranty but without being able to diagnose the problem, they can get preapproval to do the work. I asked them to check the fuel pump, and EGR valve, and they said, "We can't randomly change parts".

40

So as I mentioned in my earlier post they replaced my key system on recall (no I didn't receive any paperwork or letter... They did the change with no documentation - it stalled on them!!) and it hasn't happened again. It was regularly happening before about 2-3 times a month. I'm about 5 months in and no stalling. My registration plate is UK one DU59YMC and it is theChrysler Grand Voyager 30th anniversary (2009) model. In US you call it Town and Country but it's the same car.

130

CRYINGSLER- thank you for your response. That is so ridiculous how Chrysler keeps telling people there are no other reports on file. I had contacted them & spoke with a "supervisor" & got no where b/c they told me the same thing. I hope everyone on here-even if your vehicle is fixed-will contact Chrysler complaining. I even told the guy I talked to about this site & how others are on here complaining & how they needed to take a look at it to see everyone's issues. He stated they wouldn't do that & calls to Chrysler need to be made. This will certainly be the last Chrysler I ever buy.

30

2010 T&C - same problem. Intermittent stalls at 20-30 mph, appears cold weather correlation. Took to dealer, no codes. Left w them, would not replicate. Researched online and decided to have them replace egr valve although it checked out fine when they tested it. Runs like new but will have to drive it a while before i declare it fixed. Also had battery corrosion problem that i have to watch. Just thought id mention it. Was not corroded when stalls happened most recently. Good luck eveyone and THANK YOU ALL who have made suggestions!

405

I did have 3 computer codes all related to the EGR valve l... definitely the problem. Had this changed and no problem since!!

20

Thanks everyone! We have same issue to 2010 Dodge Caravan. I just wish I saw this a day or two ago. We just got our car back from dealer this morning after he kept it for a week trying to duplicate the issue. He could not get a code & it did not stall for him. Low and behold, tonight it stalled 2 times w/in 3 blocks of our home. This morning we paid $1100 on a full tune- up and other minor things hoping that would help (along with shocks, which it needed). We plan to email a link of this post to the dealer so he can read it all. I am hoping they will pay for part or all of the EGR valve replacement. All dealers should know about this dangerous issue!! We will call them bright and early Monday morning and hope for the best!

130

I still think we need a class action lawsuit against Chrsyler!!!' It makes me so angry that I read above that someone mentioned Chrysler recently said they have no cases on file of this. They are clearly covering this issue up and someone has already been killed over it? How many will it take before they accept responsibility? We couldn't risk my children's life so we felt we had no choice but to buy a new van (Odyssey---no problems at all). But my husband is now driving the old van so I am I very concerned for him and very angry! I am on board if anyone wants to file a law suit!!!!

20

My husband and I agree with a previous post that mentioned the stalls could be weather related with temps within 30-40 degrees and high humidity. Does anyone else see this correlation? It always happens going slower speeds and usually within 5 minutes of starting car for us as well. It is dangerous -- mine stalled in the left turn lane of a stop light -- thank God it was not a busy intersection and it stalled before I started turning. I do like the dealer we go to and I am optimistic he will help us out, but Chrsyler corp should get their act together.

405

Same here GraceA, EGR valve is what seems to be the issue. Not a difficult fix. "You tube" I'm sure you husband should be able to do it. Agreed that we should not have to, Chysler should be fixing this, but they are not. Until you fix this if you stall throw it in neutral and restart, instead of trying to pull over and restarting in a parked position. Hope this helps!!

50

Just had the FOB and ignition recall on my 2010 T&C and experiencing engine stopping and lost power steering while driving. Only the traction indicator illuminated and did not loose power to the radio. It took a few seconds to even realize the engine was stalled the first time it happened because of not totally loosing power. Has happened 3-4 times this month at low speeds, but it just happened going 70 Km. Since I have become familiar with the issue, I threw it into Neutral and restarted on the fly. I'm going to my local mechanic for a consult and then Chrysler. Based on this forum, I'm already dreading the experience.

50

Chrysler indicated EGR valve issues in diagnostics. Replaced it... Hopefully that's it. I'll update if not.

405

Wamo67, don't go to chysler they'll charge you an arm and a leg to do a diagnostic test and then the other arm and leg to fix it. Replace the EGR vavle. Part is approx 100, and labor free if you know someone. YouTube will talk you through 100% of it.

I am having the same issue except mine cuts out while driving at about 50-60 mph and automatically starts back up. I have a 99 town and country. This is really irritating.

50

Once EGR valve replaced I have had no further issues. Do yourself a favour... Even if you are not going to have Chrystler replace or clean it ($$$$), have them run a diagnostic. They have access to historical data that will verify the issue. EGR issue triggers an electronic shutdown of the engine. That's why the instrument pannel and radio are not interrupted during the event. Regarless of this not neccesarily being a manufacturers defect, I think Chrystler should revisit this regularly occuring issue... It's pretty unnerving loosing engine, power steering and power brakes at speed.

94 T&C 3.8 V6 intermittently dies while driving & won't restart. Towed to garage & problem went away after several days with no fix. Driven home and run several weeks and happened again. Towed to dealer this time and after sitting over a wk end problem went away. Dealer's BS explanation is they had to add 2 qts to the transmission. This was causing torque converter to go dry. Need I say this is going to happen again!

30

After several parts and almost 800 dollars later my brother has come to the conclusion the computer is going out. We changed fuel pump and filter, coil pack, spark plugs and wires, egr valve and sensors. The verdict is this vehicle sucks. I will never buy another chrysler. Dealership says they have no idea what is wrong with it. By the way my brother has been working on vehicles for 14 years so he knows his stuff. Good luck everyone hope you get yours fixed.

30

No stalls for 1 month after erg replacement. Documented with Chrysler! Good luck eveyone. ..

30

All. I had this problem daily for about two months with my 2010 T&C. I then started using 100% pure gas with no ethanol and it went away.

10

EGR was the problem for me. BUT Chrysler diagnostics did not pick this up. The problem is intermittent, so I told them not to charge me for a $115 diagnostic, and just replace the EGR valve. Symptoms: Intermittent stalls, at 20-30mph (neighborhood driving in the morning), when not accelerating. Very consistent when it would happen, about 3-4 minutes from home, but not every day.

130

my van just started everything again after nothing for about 5 mths. We've replaced EGR valve. 3 times in last 2 weeks van won't start & last week it stalled while I was driving. Finally, this morning after having my 2 youngest children in the van ready to go-it wouldn't start & we were able to get it recorded. it started about the 10th time of trying. Contacting dealer today to see if they'll take a look at the video. I've contacted Chrysler in the past, but may do so again this week.

Brandi have you had the L25 recall done? The ignition module and new key fobs? That fixed my non starting issue 2 weeks ago. I am now getting more of the slow start low speed stalls, and will have egr looked at. 2009 T&C.

130

Julie-my cousin told me about that recall. our dealership said our car wasn't affected by it, but my cousin has the identical vehicle we do to the color & said that wasn't true. apparently we need to check w/ them again about it. We never received anything via mail regarding a recall. I have also contacted Chrysler the end of last year & they never mentioned it. Thank you!

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/chrysler-minivan-recall-16643/

20

I posted about the 2008 T & C 2 months ago. Although the Chrsyler dealership was not able to replicate with the 10 days they had, they were willing to replace the EGR valve, (no warranty coverage) per the comments on this blog. So far, the van has been running smoothly; it's been 2 months. My fingers are crossed, as I see from other posts that the problem may still return.

Since I've written a complaint about my 1996TC shutting down while driving leaving me suddenly with no power steering or power brake (very dangerous at highway speeds), I have received many dozens of responses from owners with models as late as 2012 that have similar shut down problems. I would like to address two things: 1: For Chrysler to continually deny this problem presents ia Major question of their integraty towards their customers. They think more of protecting their image than the safety of customers, and 2: The design by their engineers to have the engine shut down when certain conditions are met without regard to driver safety in order to protect the engine rather than the driver. Is no less than criminal. I am no longer a Chrysler customer!

130

completely agree. I would love to get rid of my van. After months of no issues, it started again a few weeks ago. at least 6 times in 2 weeks. I will never buy another Chrysler product. I've tried to contact a lawyer, but no help.

20

What we did, after no help from Chrysler and it not shutting off (stalling), We took apart the dashboard and removed the gauge cluster. Apparently the connections on the back of the motherboard are famous for shaking loose. The solder points look kind of like a bullseye when they are bad. We took a solder iron and touched all the points to be sure we didn't miss anything and reinstalled it. 6 months and the problem hasn't shown up... Used to happen frequently, even multiple times a day. It seems that when the computer sensed something wrong it determined that the van was being stolen and would shut the engine down.

130

I could only wish my van would get stolen! Of course, that would never happen b/c even car thieves know better...

10

I have a 2005 TC, and it has a different stall….only stalls if you fill up the gas tank. As long as you remember to only fill a little past 3/4, it does fine. I got it recently from a friend. She said i could take it to a dealer and they would fix it for free, but i can find no mention of it anywhere……anybody?...

10

Rob, we had this same problem for about 1.5 years on our 2005 T&C at 130k and recently got a letter from Chrysler with a warranty extension on the fuel tank that specifically addresses this problem. They will replace it for free if you have these symptoms. They tried very hard to tell us that they still need to do their diagnostics for $110 but we declined. Now they are having problems getting a replacement tank. I may simply do this at another repair place and get reimbursed. The following is blatently copied from another thread (thank you Vin-J). "The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of the fuel tank. The valve is designed to prevent liquid fuel from entering the charcoal canister/emissions system. When the valve fails, liquid gas can enter the line and fill the charcoal canister. After refueling the PCM on the vehicle detects a change in fuel level. Then, when the engine meets certain temperature and driving criteria, the PCM issues a purge command to the charcoal canister to remove the stored gas vapors. It’s at that point that all the liquid gas in the line gets sucked into the charcoal canister. The PCM expects to see gas vapors entering the intake manifold and it is prepared to adjust air/fuel mixtures to compensate. However, it is not prepared to see liquid gas coming into the intake. That’s what causes the engine to stall."

As we speak I have my wife's 2009 town and country taken apart. This piece of shit is going to get someone killed. They know about this problem. I have changed plugs and wires 5 times. No power and it shutters. Kept telling me it was a clogged cat. That's bullshit . I'm pretty sure its egr valve. They need a recall!!!!! This isn't safe

I was having the same old issue with my 2013 Town & Country (the stalling, the sputtering, etc) After spending a substantial amount of $ and time at the dealer last week, they were unable to figure out what was wrong since, because by the time I got it to the dealer with the car, the check engine light had turned off. I was told they didn't know where to begin to look for the problem, so did a lot of "tuning up" in hopes it would clean things up After I almost got into an accident, I dropped it off again this morning, and even with the check engine light on, they are telling me they don't know what is wrong with it. I appreciate everyone's input on the EGR valve, which I will bring up to them when (I'm sure) they call tomorrow and let me know there is NOTHING wrong with the car. So frustrating!

20

I have a 2005 town and country. I ended up replacing my battery cabels alternator, and egr valve. I finally got an engine light when they fixed it. I now and still get a signal when I stop. Butvit does not die anymore. thanks

2008 3.8L Town and Country died while driving in rain at 20 - 30mph. Engine would try to crank but not catch. CEL and Throttle Control Module light came on after trying to restart. Already had the ignition recall done which seemed to fix the problem of the VAN not starting randomly.

Problem solved for me! Thanks to all for the input on this issue, it was invaluable to me. 2001 Chrysler T&C 3.8L Problem- engine shuts off suddenly- no sputtering, stalling etc, just like key got turned off- at entirely random times while driving, no discern-able pattern although typically within 500 mi of last issue Solution- replaced PCM, a very easy fix for even a basic DIY, can be R&R'd without removing battery, there is a hidden bolt behind headlight to be aware of, easy to get to if you take out three screws that hold the headlight in. Part is $225 at Carcomputerexchange.com Cheaper than than having it reflashed or replaced at dealer. Before this I tried in order: Checked battery and connections Replaced EGR valve, very easy to replace though I don't see how this could cause this issue. About $70 for part Replaced crankshaft sensor, cheap but a little harder to replace. This could cause this issue, but it should show a P code if so. About $25 for part. Note there are two versions for this year, get the correct one. If the PCM hadn't fixed it, my next steps were to get the wiring harness checked, then dash module, though I would likely have brought it into mechanic for that. Coincidentally had the ignition coil fail during this time, again easy to replace, but I don' t think it was related.

130

I'm glad some people are stating their problems are fixed....my van-just yesterday wouldn't start...it's so random. after about the 10th try...it started. The problem to me is that Chrysler s/b fixing these issues...we shouldn't have to spend our time, money or stress trying to figure this out. IT's ridiculous & I will NEVER buy another Chrysler again. Still want to get rid of ours, but we can't put our issues on someone else. so disappointed in this company.

10

I'm no pro mechanic, but I'm pretty persistent tracking down problems, and it's forums like this that are invaluable. I assume you've had it into the dealer or shop and they can't find any clear problem. If you haven't tried replacing the computer, it's a relatively easy and cheap DIY job, you or anyone handy with a wrench can do it. A bad computer can cause all sorts of issues, and since it's what stores those codes the mechanics are so addicted to, it won't show a fault in itself. No guarantees, a lot of things can cause the issue you have, but it's an avenue to look it A $225 part, about what the dealer would charge just to diagnose it, maybe improperly. My T&C has had a number of weird annoying issues, runs great in between the problems. If I wasn't a DIY guy I probably would've given up long ago, it would have been a fortune for the dealer to fix, but it's got well over 200K miles on it now so I guess it's gravy from here. Good luck with yours. Also, the commonly referred to EGR valve could cause your problem, again a very easy DIY job for a well under $100 part.

130

yes, my husband has already replaced the EGR valve. it's been to 2 different dealerships for weeks...they can never "duplicate" the issue. we've recorded it happening-no one wants to view it. I've contacted Chrysler directly....talked to a "manager"...who said no one has complained...reading all this-that's a lie. seems to just be a lot of liars on their end & no willingness to even look at this forum to read all the people who have had very similar issues.

My wife's 2006 T&C gave me the code P0404. So I replaced the EGR about $75 for the part. Then the gas pedal started sticking so I cleaned out the throttle box. But the damn thing died on me twice driving to and from my sons baseball game. Thank god no accident. I know it's not the EGR since I just replaced it so I would love a solution. Thanks.

I took my 2008 in after it kept on stalling while driving. Like many others it would stall mostly before 30mph. I took it into the dealer two months ago and they preformed the recall fix on the ignition switch and It seemed fixed! Yesterday I was going 50 mph on a two lane road when it stalled! I'm so thankful for this forum because I would not have known what to do so quickly to turn it back on. I had my four kids, one a newborn with me! We are so so done with this van!!!!

Does anyone know where we can file formal complaints that they cannot deny?!

I posted my issue but wanted to update since my problem was different from others. The dealer found out the fuel pump died completely. They installed a new fuel pump for around $900 parts and labor. Van has been working fine for 3 weeks. I found out the fuel pump and filter is one unit and it is in the fuel tank. You have to drop the tank to replace it. Those of you that may be having problems with random stalling may want to have your fuel pump replaced. Posted Before: 2008 3.8L Town and Country died while driving in rain at 20 - 30mph. Engine would try to crank but not catch. CEL and Throttle Control Module light came on after trying to restart. Already had the ignition recall done which seemed to fix the problem of the VAN not starting randomly.

My 2008 T&C only does it, shuts down when stopped and jerks at times when driving, when we have the A/C on. We live in WI so most of the time it is not an issue. I have found that if I need to stop I put one foot on the break and then continue to lightly press on the gas pedal and it does not stall then. My dad is also a mechanic, he has been driving it when it has happened as well but could never get any codes to come up. We have spent about 500.00 so far in trying to figure things out. I am going to mention the EGR valve to him and see if this will hopefully be a fix!

This happened to me today. We could have been killed seconds before we were on a highway going 70. Is there a lawsuit yet? Anything recalled?

10

My 2004 T&C usually stall when AC turned on, but it do not stall when the AC turnned off, The engine restarted after 15 minutes ??? What is your opininon

I'm not getting any engine codes for egr valve! No codes at all! Our 08 t&c stalled on us at a red light. Walked to local parts supply for a battery. Next day felt hesadent to start. Took to local garage had alternator, battery, starter all tested all read fine. Tonight a/c also on right when we got home I put in reverse to park and shit off. Started up but hesadent again. Sick of this!!! Any ideas since I'm not getting codes for the egr valve???

I have a 2009 T&C Limited, 65000 miles, purchased from Carmax in 2012. Same problem, been in and out of the dealership for 1.5 years. Under warranty, but we have paid well over $2000 trying to fix the problem. Flushed fuel lines, replaced ignition, computer chips, four batteries, alternators, etc. Dealership says they "can't duplicate the problem" half the time and send it back to me. I was nearly in a head on collision with my 8 and 5 year old boys when taking a left in a busy intersection. Are there any ideas on where to go next? How do you complain to Chrysler? HELP!! So tired of stressing and having my heart drop every time an alert sounds.

10

I have a 2010 TC Touring and it is the same story as most of the people on here. "EGR looks good and we cannot replicate the issue. We drove it for 20 minutes" The problem here is that it happens randomly, and has happened twice in the last 2 months. But because there is no "code" they basically tell you they understand your concern or driving an unsafe vehicle, but they cannot replace parts based on a guess. Scary stuff. Looking into lemon laws, documenting conversations with Chrysler in the event of liability suits. Its unfortunate that the best option appears to be trying to pull the wool over a dealerships eyes and taking a financial hit, but I cannot sell this thing directly to someone else knowing what may happen.

10

I have a 2010 T&C with 87k miles and it stalls only within the first few minutes of driving. I think it started sometime AFTER they did the ignition recall work a year ago. I'm still a little weary about that. Anyway, sometimes it stalls while moving at 20-30mph after I take my foot slightly off the gas, but other times it just stalls while moving at a steady speed; only stalls when cold. It doesn't happen after the car has warmed up or have been driving for awhile. I watched the tachometer while driving. It appears to drop pretty low (close to 0) for those times when it tries to stall but doesn't. It doesn't do that after its warmed up; tach stays near or above 1. I'm wondering if the shifting of the transmission has anything to do with this. I took it to Chrysler and left it there for a week. Same old story. They couldn't replicate the stall but charged me for the time anyway. Then I went to a trustworthy mechanic for a tuneup (new plugs, intake manifold cleaning). It runs better but it still stalls after all that work. After reading these posts, my next step is to get the battery tested and the EGR valve replaced....we'll see....

10

Adding just one more thing to my post above this one. I'll tell you this: I've purchased and leased several Chryslers over the years and after this crappy non-resolution and big $$$ spent at their service center (for this problem and several others), this is the last straw for me. I'm never going to get another Chrysler again.

10

All the same issues with my 2008 T&C...replaced the EGR valve, nothing. Going to try the MAP sensor next. Mine stalls after the car is warmed up, not right away, and only when my foot is on the brake, if I can avoid putting my foot on the brake it does not stall, although I do have to put in neutral most times when at a stop light. Drove to Florida 3 times like this, terrifying!!!! Have to go again in a month so I really need this resolved!! My mechanic also charged over $200 to clean the throttle, which slowed it down for a couple of weeks so my son did it again and nothing. Could it possibly be a transmission problem, it feels like the car is not downshifting as it should and the stalling is like what happens when you drive a manual transmission and do not clutch properly

10

Lisa, your issue seems different from mine. My problem was resolved by replacing the EGR after all. So, based on this experience, I suggest finding a local mechanic who is willing to research this with you. I got nothing like that when I went to Chrysler service. The local guy tried harder and was willing to experiment. He "borrowed" an EGR valve and installed it. If it didn't work, he was going to take it out (those things run $200 and up).

I have a 2010 with 115,000 and it would stall mostly when we where going under 25 and foot not on the gas pedal and it would show no warning lights. All I had to do was turn car off and it would restart and run fine until the next time it happened. It would happen on average once a week. Had it in to dealer multiple times with no diagnosis. This went on for months. Finally the stabilizer light and check engine light came on and the dealer was able to diagnosis that it was the EGR valve. It is being fixed as I write this.

I have a 97 T&C that I obtained from my uncle. He had an instrument cluster from the junk yard as the gauges were acting up (fuel level showing wrong etc.) in it. I installed the new cluster then being an electronics guy I went "Hmmm" and pulled the old one apart. Sure enough, the solder joints at the connector were bad. I then pulled the set out that I had just installed and it had the same problem. My uncle had a spare cluster for his 03 van and it too had bad solder joints. This is a common problem on these things and will cause the engine to not start or randomly just shut down. The computer loses communication with the cluster and then just shuts the engine down. Anyone with a van that is older than a few years I STRONGLY recommend pulling the cluster out and re-soldering the cable connection pins as a preventative measure! Of course stalling out at a light is more likely the egr.

I have a 97 T&C that I obtained from my uncle. He had an instrument cluster from the junk yard as the gauges were acting up (fuel level showing wrong etc.) in it. I installed the new cluster then, being an electronics guy, I when "Hmmm" and pulled the old one apart. Sure enough, the solder joints at the connector were bad. I then pulled the set out that I had just installed and it had the same problem. My uncle had a spare cluster for his 03 van and it too had bad solder joints. This is a common problem on these things and will cause the engine to not start or randomly just shut down. The computer loses communication with the cluster and then just shuts the engine down. Anyone with a van that is older than a few years I STRONGLY recommend pulling the cluster out and re-soldering the cable connection pins as a preventative measure! Of course stalling out at a light is more likely the egr.

I have been so frustrated with my 2010 Chrysler Town and Country as it has been stalling for the past year. I took it in for the recall twice and it still stalled. After reading all the comments on this page my husband and I decided to replace the EGR valve as a last resort. It cost 500 bucks, but it worked! Well worth the money! Why Chrysler doesn't do another recall and replace the EGR valves is beyond me!