Gauges/lights on instrument panel sporadically flicker off and on and the car stalls

Asked by Sep 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

All gauges/lights on instrument panel sporadically flicker off and on. This occurs while idling and driving and it occurs almost on a daily bases. Car didn’t drive noticeably different at first, but lights and chime kept alarming. I change the oil and fluids regularly and I have had my fuel injectors and other regular upkeep maintenance on my car. The check engine light isn’t on so of course no codes are showing up. On several occasions while driving on the highway or the street the lights did back-to-back flicker, all gauges zeroed and car begins to decelerate. Could not accelerate but within a few minutes the gauges and car powered back up. However, when I am on the street I can safely pull over and restart the car. It’s a rather scary while I am on the highways (especially during rush hour). So what is wrong with my car? When I had talked with the guys at AutoZone they said it was either my battery or my alternator; I have since replaced my battery and I am about to replace the alternator but researching this issue it seems that is quite possible that it isn’t the alternator either.

It needs to go chrysler, possible bcm failure

The only problem is that you need to change you ignition switch. Don't waste your money as I did with useless diagnostics which cost me several hundred pounds and still did not cure the problem. I went to several arrogant garages who said that a faulty ignition switch could not be the problem ( as that would be toooo simple, wouldn't it and not as costly!)

I had already replaced the ignition switch at that time but I was still having that problem. I have since trade that car in after my transmission went out for the 2nd time. But thanks for the tip.