what's some things I can do cheap to make my gtp faster without hurting anything?

Asked by Jun 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM about the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

370

Cold Air intake & performance exhaust ...they are fool proof ... & safe on your car. This is always my first choice. A performance chip may also be a consideration. ...Jim

does the performance exhaust have the 3'' down pipe?

and where can I get performance exhaust I seen one but it was $550 for it any others?

370

Hi Billings; I would assume you'll find a performance exhaust to fit your needs (3" down pipe) I can't say for sure. The Grand Prix is a popular vehicle ...so I'm inclined to think you will find one. However ...complete exhaust systems are pricey. You may consider adding in a performance free flow muffler & what ever other exhaust performance components your budget allows now ...or at a later date. And ....look on the net ...performance cars often time end up wrecked ...for obvious reasons & the cars parted out. If I happen across any good sites I'll post them ...but start with Kijji Good luck ...don't let your performance project end up that way though my friend ...Jim

I heard I could do a muffler delete is that something I could do? thanks Jim

370

Yes ...throw the dang thing away if it is old & run straight pipes with a baffle or two ...baffles will add a little needed back pressure quiet it down somewhat ...just enough to keep it legal & the neighbours semi happy & it will increase hp & performance. I never thought of that Billings ...in fact ...when one can do it ...it is the cheapest hp increase method. BUT ...add a Cold Air intake ...they are cheap & will let that Pontiac really breath ..I put this one in the photo on my XK8 for $119..

the cheapest cold air I found was like $230 I know there's cheaper but I'm not sure where to look any ideas for me?

370

I'll look around & post it on here tomorrow ...I'm in eastern Canada ...where are you? The internet has many same day delivery set ups for car parts. I used the intake parts on the Jag & only bought the K&N filter & adapter.

I'm in michigan an that would be awesome if you could thanks imight have to do that as well

370

Here you go Billings ...when the page comes up ...check the thumbnail links on the right for the Filter Element & Universal Adapter ...your lucky ...all for about $60. I paid double due to it being for a DANG Jaguar ...lol ...Jim https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&q=k%26n+cold+air+intake+filter&oq=k%26n+cold+aiir+intake&gs_l=serp.1.2.0i13l10.67587.80059.0.86268.19.18.1.0.0.1.267.3087.0j5j10.15.0....0...1c.1.47.serp..6.13.2568.qrPEHtdBgC8

370

lol ...where ta hell is that link going ...it is clear across the 55 inch big screen I use when I stream the PC to the TV

any chance you could send that again it's not doing anything for me, an I could only imagine more expensive but those cars are very nice tho I drove one once very fast lol

370

that is the one Billings ...not sure why it is not working for either off us..Simply Google K&N filters ...you will find what your looking for my friend. If not let me know. & Yes ...the Jag ...like all high performance luxury cars ...is worth every penny. I've had it up too outrageous speeds as well ...I also have a 170 mph BMW ...speed due to a Hamann chip & performance parts ...but it don't look near as good as a drop top cat ...hence my avatar photo is the XK8 ...Drive hard Billings ...but be safe!

370

Billings ...I'm posting this link to K&N filters again ...try this. Cut & paste it into your Wordpad or word processor app. It should turn to an underscored blue ...active link that you can click on. https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&q=k%26n+cold+air+intake+filter&oq=k%26n+cold+aiir+intake&gs_l=serp.1.2.0i13l10.67587.80059.0.86268.19.18.1.0.0.1.267.3087.0j5j10.15.0....0...1c.1.47.serp..6.13.2568.qrPEHtdBgC8

370

I just tried that copy & paste method Billings ...& WALLA ...I just did exactly what I said in the box above this one ...it worked! G'day

that time it worked thank you, an what kind of chip would u recommend for my car? an the car u have an I drove I did 142 mph before slowing down its nuts lol

370

uummm ...A chip for Grand Prix ...send the engine type info & year. I don't have a clue ...but I am always on car sites ...one never knows what I'll find ...if anything ...I'll post it Billings. Glad the linke worked. I'm logging off for now

it's a 07 grand prix supercharged 3.8 liter, thanks again

370

Billings; Below are three sites that may help. The first has literally everything one could need for a car except a dang drivers permit! I entered in your vehicles engine type & information ...but the link may take you to the home page & you may have to RE-enter that info. This should help. Remeber to copy & paste the links to Wordpad or such to make them active links. ...Jim http://canada.autopartswarehouse.com/vehicle/2007/Pontiac/Grand_Prix/Base/6_Cyl_3-dot-8L.html http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/10A50207.aspx http://performancechipsnow.com/Pontiac%20Performance%20Chips/Pontiac%20Grand%20Prix%201989-2009

perfect thanks again Jim

I heard that without upgrading the pcm or gettinga programmer a cold air intake isn't good is that true?

370

Billings ...I understand if you don't know mechanics well ...you may not know what to believe. That advise is only partially true. Or ...someone may have got it backwards? All Engines must breath IN air & exhale OUT exhaust ...the easier an engine can do this ...the better ...period. (this is why some exhaust systems are referred to as High Flow systems)a Performance Chip Module will allow you to take better advantage of the High Flow intake & exhaust mind you. The reason I say someone may have got that backwards is this ...in some cases the PCM instructions will tell you that WITHOUT a High Flow system ...you may not be able to use the programmer to its' full potential. A computer program cannot change the restrictive stock intake filters & exhaust right? So ...in my humble opinion ...that advice was backwards. Check the recommendations of most Performance Chips offered on the market & you will see that is the case ...Jim

370

PS ...this is why you will never see restrictive intakes & exhaust on race cars. Velocity stacks & short headers work best. Then they program the computer modules to take advantage of that ...not the other way around. Your friend was likely trying to be helpful but just got it backwards ...lol

I told him he was wrong I am actually very mechanical I used to work at a dealership for a few years but never modded a car before so just wanted a second opinion just to be safe lol

Cold air intake...put an inter cooler in it, its much better for supercharged and turbo engines than a cold air intake..