Troubleshooting a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix

Asked by Dec 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM about the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

I have a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix with an oily/water mixture dripping from my exhaust pipe. My car goes to about a 1/2 quart low on oil approximately once/month but I dont have any obvious oil leaks or burning oil. I have heard alot of swishing noises in the floorboard over the years, too, and a little bit of steam (not smoke) coming from the tailpipe (even in the summer) Not sure if any of these things are related, but thought they were all worth mentioning in case there is a connection. What could be wrong?

Blown head gasket on exhaust side,that is what the oily-water is.

Thanks. Could I have a blown head gasket and not know it? Car is running fine, completely normal. Driving it regularly. No signs of a major problem. Are you saying this is a good indication of worse things to come? Thanks for your response.

sorry to say ,but yes.its a small leak in it now,it will get bigger and worse.blown on exhaust side wont let collent get into the oil.im a glutton for punishment also,got a 00 GAGT.

Ok. What is the approximate cost for this type of repair? Ballpark figure. Is this something that does more damage/costs more to repair, the longer I wait?

cost depenonds on who does the job,usually around $600.00,yes the longer you wait the worse it gets,sounds like it was count in time,probley no damage.at this time.thing is it has aluiminum heads,they will have to be reserviced and pressure checked for cracks,that is part of the cost,

Thanks so much!! I appreciate your time and knowledge.

195

What does the overflow bottle for the cooling system look like,does IT look oily.Normally if a head gasket is blown you would experience loss of coolant or overheating at some time.The way the engines are made to get oil in the exhuast it would be almost impossible for it to come from a blown head gasket,from my experience it would more likely be a crack in one or more of the heads. Just to give you a bit of back ground,I have been a licensed mechanic in Canada for 50years

2,995

probably a blown head gasket

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. It's good to have a general idea of the problem early on. Im going to take it to our trusted mechanic and hopefully get it fixed before it gets any worse.

65

lots of times there's some little water coming from my tail pipe. If the place where you live is wet or diffrent climate change could cause this.. Like previous comments ( check water in the oil) that will tell you if you have a blown headgasket. Or lost of power....Have you ever ran hot?? If you have, check headgasket. I also have a gp2008 and the light 5-40 oil i lose about a quart between oil changes... Its the light oil.. I went to a little heavier wieght oil , and have no problems now.. hope that helps

20

head gasket is suspect aluminum head get a new head don' t use the orig