When I don't drive my 2007 Buick Lucerne for a wk the battery goes dead

Asked by Oct 06, 2008 at 10:24 PM about the 2007 Buick Lucerne V6 CXL FWD

AAA tells me this is normal, that I have to drive the car at least every 3 days.  The service dept at dealership has never heard of this problem.

665

Sounds like a paraitic drain on your battery. 1st check to see that all lights and other electronics are off. The next thing to do would be to check your battery's charge make sure your alternator is charging it completely and that your battery is still good. Beyond that it's best to check with a local mechanic. Your battery shouldn't lose charge over 3 days, that's rediculous.

205

Unless it is a bad battery, it is definitely a parasitic drain, but since it is a 2007 the chances that it is the battery is slim to nil. Go to the dealership and tell them they must be idiots if they can't figure that out.

8,985

Pickup a multimeter and check current flow at the positive terminal. Should be nearly non-existent with the car off... You can likely find an exact value or check another car for an approximate value. My multimeter is fried atm and I can never remember the amp range. (DO NOT TRY TO READ THE CURRENT WITH THE CAR ON!) Self discharge on a crappy lead acid is only ~20% a month It could be only chargeing the battery to just above the starting point... In which case the voltage between your terminals with the car running will only be in the low 12's when it should be over 13.

80

I have the same problem with my 2007 Buick Lucerne. It has been in the shop three times and has had both the ignition switch and the battery replaced and the new battery goes dead, too. This also happens if I do not drive the car every few days. It IS ridiculous.

8,215

try the glove box light... i've had that switch stay on at times on the LeSabre. disconnect it and see if the drain goes away. hope it helps.. good luck

30

Father has 2007 Lucerne with same problem. AAA came out to jump start the car and check the battery and told me that because of the computers there is a continuous drain of .03 amps even when everything is shut off so the car needs to be started 2x per week for about 1/2 hour to prevent the battery from dying.

1,935

When key off there should be a small amout drawn, but if you have it running atleast 30mins twice a week you have a problem. All computers should turn off so you might have a problem with one of computers staying on.

510

I have the same car, but today is the first time I have tried to start it in 2 weeks, it started right up as normal. And the outside temperature was above 20 degrees for the first time in weeks.

485

The owners manual states that if you do not start and drive the car for a 20 day period, then you should disconnect the battery because the normal non running time amperage draw will cause it to completely discharge. I found this out the hard way - after a 30 day camping trip with the car left in the garage. The every three day start recommended by AAA is BS. You need to get a new dealership if they cannot help you. There are two scenarios that could cause your problem - in my opinion; excessive current draw when sitting in your garage or a bad battery. If this happened to me and my dealer told me that they never heard of this before and sent me on my way, then I would NEVER have them service my vehicle again.

4,915

ur battery is done with i think. is it an old one. the charge on ur battery, just doesn't remain. http://www.buick-lucerne.com/

20

I've got a 2004 Lucerne and I have the same problem. The battery was replaced because of a bad cell, but the new battery drained after about two weeks and needed to be jumped. I've been told to start and run the car at least weekly for at a minimum 30 minutes to help keep it charged.

8,215

just as the car is now closing in on 4 years old, i'm noticing my battery is slightly draining to the point where my remotes do not function. a long drive , and all remote functions are restored. it seems that all the functions of the radio, onstar, remote receiver, and other items must be slowly draining the battery. as the battery gets older, it naturally discharges faster.

20

We have a 2008 and change the battery and the same problem.

90

This is a common problem with the Lucerne (Dead Battery). Before you spend hundreds trying to check everything under the sun, pull the Onstar fuse. If you're not using the "Onstar", pull the red 10 amp Onstar fuse and your Battery problems may be over. It's under the back seat near the Battery. The Onstar system is always drawing power from the Battery, even when it's off. Worked for me.

30

2008 Buick Lucy CXL a nightmare car for me, mega $$$$$ to repair, only 169 k on it . Battery probs same as above. Tranny even exploded , all kinds of S--- SHEEEESH! Thanks for the help. Will try and charge the batt. By the way I can;t get the key out of the ignition.????? On.Canada.

10

check the lights on sunviser were the mirror is some of the lights will be on if up or down.

10

I fixed my problem on my 2006 Lucerne by simply pulling the radio fuse. Its a hassel because when I travel long distance, i just plug the fuse back in. Does anyone know if the on star fuse is tied to the radio? Im thinking about trying to remove it and leaving the radio fuse plugged in. Sucks to not have a radio around town.

good info shared above. my situation is similar with my sons 2006 Lucerne cxl...bought it summer 2017 (dealer put in new duralast gold as part of sale). Dec'17 car is dead (battery weak) got it to jump couple of times. now(jan'18) bought and installed a new duralast gold battery and car started right up... ran it for 5mins. my son called an hour later .. no lights, car wont start at all. maybe a fuse or other electrical issue here... gotta go back and check connections, maybe return battery if weak (possible lemon?), but given history seems something with car has gone awry. will try pulling fuses as suggested above, while chcking for anything blown.