I've tried the paperclip to get the engine codes but its not working. no engine light or gauge will flash. Help...please! How else can i read it?

Asked by Jul 17, 2014 at 09:35 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Caprice LS

My 1994 chevy caprice was hesitating
from time to time...then last week
stopped and wouldn't start again.  
Power...but no start.

37,605

If it will crank over and won't fire, you have either a bad fuel pump or bad coil.

If you have the camaro motor 4.3 v8, with the distributor under the motor instead of on top. there are other issues. The Water pump can start dripping into the distributor and one version is even open, making it easier. I have paid GM twice to fix this at about 1100 each time. If you get the dealer, take the more expensive GM parts because they lifetime warranty the job. My napa water pump failed right out of the GM distributor warranty and cost. The car will crank and crank. The dealer took 5 days trying to diagnose it and charging me until the manager said, look I know this is your distributor, we have seen it before, Luckily my local mechanic found the 2nd napa water pump was dripping and replaced it for about 235 (not an easy job) and saved the distributor.

PS, there are no codes for this problem, the computer is very simple.