how much would it cost to install a transmission

Asked by May 22, 2008 at 10:06 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

205

It depends on the quality of transmission and if you can do it yourself. If you want to do it yourself, you could probably go to a salvage yard and pick up a nice used t-56 six speed (pretty nice transmission for a street car) and all the parts to install it for 2-3 thousand. If you want someone else to do it it you will have to go talk to a mechanic. They all charge different amounts, but it won't be cheap. There is also a decent chance you will have to go to a little "ma and pa" garage because the franchises usually won't do stuff like that.

45

It depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking at buying one and having it put in by a shop looking around 2-3 grand mainly for the transmission itself. If you already have the transmission and are just looking for someone to install it it could vary a lot depending on shop rates. Most major companies wont install someone else's transmission so you would need to go to a local small shop.

20

Hi, well where do you live? Its not that hard to take a transmission out yourself, the first time I took mine out of my iroc, was my first trans, and I took it out on a day, taking my time, I put a fresh one back in the trans in about 8.5 hrs, just working on it continuously, but its not hard. You put the car up on some large jackstands, like the highest craftsman ones, the 3 or 6 ton versions, they're yellow and black. Then you could also use a trans jack, that helps a lot, but a floor jack, with a piece of wood, large enough to support the trans pan, but some straps are also a good idea, and maybe having someone to support it, when you lower it down is a good idea. But you first start by loosening and removing the two straps for the driveshaft yolk that goes to the rear axle pinion; then you lower it, and slowly pull it out of the back of the transmission, some trans fluid will come out, but not a ton; then put the driveshaft to the side, I have a spare from a 93 T/A if you need one, lol! Then take the flywheel cover off, then begin to loosen the flywheel bolts; having a flywheel turning tool, helps budge the bolts loose, theres only 3 so its not that hard. Then break the 6 bolts for the motor/trans bolts loose, they mostly have to be loosened from the bottom of the car, but I think I broke the top two loose on that 93 T/A when I took the trans out of it. Once those are loose and removed, you can go to removing the transmount nut. Make sure you have the converter lock up wiring removed and also the wire for the speedo sender. Then make sure you have the jack or trans jack beneath the trans, and begin to lossen the 4 cross member bolts, and then as they're loose the trans will start to sag down, be careful! If your not careful something very bad can happen, like squishing hands or other things. Having someone around your first time is also very important. Installation is the reverse of the removal, but make sure the trans is right up against the block, don't use the bolts to pull the trans up to the motor, because it can brake the transmission bolt ears off pretty easily. But its a easy job, compared to a 82 mercedes, wooaahh! They're a B*, there is 6 flywheel bolts, and ten bolts for the trans, but that was on a trurbo diesel, so yeah. But Otherwise, shop costs are a ton, and its a relatively easy job, if your patient and have worked on things before by yourself. Good luck, Keif

20

I live in Salem NH i.would pay some one 500 dollars to install .ANY TAKERS.