Tire Pressure Monitor System

35

Asked by Feb 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM about the 2007 Pontiac Torrent Base AWD

I've got an 2007 Pontiac Torrent that we bought in Feb 2008. In Oct. 2008 I had a flat and got it fixed. Shortly after that it seemed to have a slow leak. Took it to another tire place and they found the valve stem was broken.  Had to replace the sensor at my Nov. oil change. Now this Feb had both tires on the left get slow leaks. Took it in to get them fixed. One is fixed and the other one had a problem with the sensor being bad. I've got another flat and am scared to even get it fixed now. Do I need to take it to the dealer to get the tire fixed sicne I need to get another new sensor? Will I have to take all future flat tires to the dealer to get them fixed? If so, then that's an hour trip one way each time. Is anyone else having problems with the sesnors? Is there a way we can switch to regular tires and forgo the sensors alltogether? Or will that screw up my car? I love my Torrent, but this is getting to be a headache with the tire sensors.  I really don't want to have to spend $110.00 or more every two or so months or every tire change just to replace the sensor. March is my next scheduled oil change. Help please!
Peace

35

Okie, we just got back from the dealer for one of our (cars) lifetime oil changes and we talked to them about the tire pressure monitor sensors. They told us that if they were the ones changing it and broke it then they would replace it free of charge. Now the Mr. Goodwrench tech told us the following about teh TPM sensors: No, the TPM sensor does not affect the ABS, it's strictly a tire pressure monitor. No, they won't/can't take it out of the program, but you don't need the TPM sensor in the tire. You do however have to put up with the 'check tire'/'service tire' messages and the idiot light. They also told us that caps should be used on the valve stems, although the dealer told us that we were not to use caps on the valve stems. A TPM Sensor from the dealer is $70 with a $16 fee per tire to install it. We also found out from another tire repair guy, that those TPM sensors are going to be a federally mandated thing that all vehicles will have them. And the only 2 vehicles that have/use the TPM sensor like mine are the Torrents and Montanas. Although why they also don't/won't mandate three TPM sensors, one for trucks - one for pick-ups & SUVs and one for passesnger cars is beyond me. Okie, done giving information that we got and with my mini vent ^.^ Peace!