Iac valve

Asked by Feb 01, 2016 at 05:56 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Astro CL AWD Passenger Van Extended

I changed iac valve because I got the code and had
a rough idle. Now it idles high. Super high when in
park.

69,895

That port that you pulled out the old IAC would have needed to be cleaned out good. That port is a major source of vacuum, so the IAC gasket area would have to be supper clean so it can make a seal. I like lubing the o-rings for easier installation and to help seal good. Even if you use your spit for lube on the o-rings. I would also check the throttle body gasket.

Yea I just unscrewed the old n put in new. Any tips for cleaning and do u think I've messed up the iac. Thank you.

69,895

Actually the best thing to do is to take the throttle body right off to clean out that port, and all the rest of the throttle body, You use a spray can of carburetor cleaner, and it is nice to have an air hose for blowing it off. But check the throttle body base gasket as they will wear with time and cause a vacuum leak. The IAC I think should be ok.

69,895

I was looking at a picture of the IAC and how it seals, make sure the threads are cleaned good on the throttle body, and you should put some thread sealer on the threads of the IAC when you put it back in.

It has a red liner on threads not sure if it's b damaged once unscrewed. Wat would b ur thoughts of using pipe dope on threads. My old one didn't even have the gasket. Lol. This high idle threw me a curve ball for sure.

69,895

Ya anything to seal the treads, even Teflon tape. If you use pipe dope, use it sparingly, just enough to fill in the treads, You do not want any getting anywhere else.