Engine swap

Asked by Aug 25, 2013 at 03:38 AM about the 1995 Saturn S-Series 4 Dr SL1 Sedan

I want to swap out my 1995 1.9 sohc engine and manual trans for the best year        
1.9 dohc engine trans combo. my question is as far as performance is concerned, what
is the best engine trans combo.What other stuff will I need to do?, sensors, engine
wiring harness, computer for same? Do I need to secure an entire car to make the
conversion, again what year and S model is best? These are fun little cars and I love to
fiddle around with them. Thanks for any help you can provide. Thanks, Chris. I currently
have access to a 1999 dohc engine that needs work so before I commit I would like to
know whats the best

1,665

All you should need is a motor with the Intake and exhaust manifold(and downpipe), PCM, and then the instrument cluster. Im not familiar with the older harnesses, but aside from swapping injector connectors for the DOHC injectors, everything should be the same(thankfully since youve got the MPFI sohc motor and not the TBI POS.)

1,665

And as far as which motor to go with. Stay away from 91-92 since they have the bastard crank, as well as 00-02 since they have the vertical manifold, and some other fun stuff that would require a bit more modification. Look for a lower mileage 93-98 motor that doesnt burn oil and you should be good. They all made 124hp so theres no point in choosing a specific year unless you plan to put all of the best parts together in one motor. If thats the case, google "Deeb's Build" on saturnfans.com

20

What about 99Saturn sl1. To dohc what all would I need to do the swap been looking for some clear answersbut havet found it yet

Im wanting ro do the same thing but with a turbo on it. What year wouod be better built to handle more boost then the sohc

okay guy im doing a motor swap on a 1999 saturn wagon with a 1.9 sohc to a 1996 1.9 dohc. ran into a problem with the fuel injectors. the dohc has a plug in and the sohc doesnt so do i need to change the harness or the fuel injector rail