Towing Capacity

Asked by Feb 02, 2010 at 10:15 AM about the 1995 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

Little Help ?  Trying to get the towing capacity for this "95"   350   3:73 axle..  My sons driving from Alaska and needs help maxing out the towing capacity. Does anyone know what the max is and what do do to the truck to make it safe?

Respectfully, Jim

check the drivers side door. there are stickers in on the door and the door frame.

The drivetrain should be rated for about 6,000 pounds, (it's in the manual) but the bigger question is whether the brakes are in good enough condition to slow you down while descending passes or if you need to stop quickly.

I wouldn't worry so much about the max that the truck will pull...although the max rating for a 95 with a 350 and 3:73 I believe is 6000 lbs. you want to be sure that the tires are able to hold the weight over a long distance and also make sure brakes on both the truck and trailer are in good order before driving any thing long distance. it also wouldn't hurt to have the transmission flushed if it has been more than 30,000 since the last one it is good to do if your pulling will help keep from having issues while you pulling if you have a heavy load on.

Derek is exactly right, in reality the drivetrain (with good fluids) could pull way more than 6000, but there is a safety concern with the brakes and maneuvering ability of the truck with more weight than that. You should be OK with 6000, just make sure that the tires and all necessary fluids and filters are in good condition for that long hard drive.

Well thanks for all the information. Any recommendation on tire size etc. to carry the load on this suburban? I was wondering also looking at the horesepower (200) seems kinda weak for the truck and 6,000? We've gooten all kinds of recommondation such as new heads/ cam (geez!)supercharger? Shift kit etc. Any thoughts?

Dont worry about all that crap, she'll pull it just fine (those engines had more torque than HP). Just make sure all the filters and fluids are clean. Maybe run some injector cleaner through the engine and change the plugs. As for tires, I would reccommend 8 or 10 ply all terrains (load range D or E) I have had those on my burb for years and have towed almost 10,000 pounds (not reccommended) with no problems. Dont forget about the trailer tires, brakes and wheel bearings on that long trip! With all that you should have a good trip with no problems. Hope it helps!

every tranny builder ive talked to told me never to touch the fluid in an auto any sense to this? also know 3 people that changed there tranny fluid and blew them up in the next few weeks but mabey its diffrent for towing and extreme temperatures

It depends on how the tranny's been taken care of in the past, if it hasn't been changed in over 100k miles, just leave it and wait for the tranny to blow up because the new fluid breaks up the buildup in the tranny and clogs valves and and the cooler and the filter (thus ruining the tranny). If you change it regularly ( every 30k to 70k miles) then it will greatly extend the life of the automatic. The 70k to 100k is kind of a grey zone where it depends on the transmission.

thaty makes sense, got a little scared cuz i just swaped my engine and dumped the tranny fluid out of my 700r4 in the prosses, it only had 40k on it the so hopfully ill be ok

I need help. I am looking at a 2009 Suburban LT 1500 4WD with a Z82 Package and 3.43 differential. will that provide maximum towing on the Vehicle which Chevy claims to be 7900 pounds??? On some sites it says that a K5L option is required. What is the difference between K5L and Z82? Can K5L be added aftermarket? Chevy support is horrible at this subject. Please help!!!! Thanks!

u can get the details in ur user's manual. the rpm should be 6,000 rpm.