What idiot decided to design the Cavalier cooling system with the thermostat positioned on the outflow side of the radiator?

Asked by Jul 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Base Coupe

The thermostat should be positioned where the water flows from the engine to the radiator so that when the water in the engine gets hot it will pressure up and open the thermostat to move the hot water into the radiator. The thermostat on this model has been placed on the line coming from the radiator to the engine. For the thermostat to open ,the water in the radiator has to get hot enough to open the thermostat.By that time the water in the engine is nearly hot enough to blow a gasket. Who was the idiot who thought this was the way to design the car? To keep my car from blowing up I completely removed the thermostat. It cost me my heater in the winter,but at least I can drive the car without it running hot all the time. I have one word for Chevy: IMBECILES

you doing more harm than good removing the T-Stat,giveing the computer false info,I suspect the temp sensor has gone bad,giveing it a false reading,what engine,2.2-2.4,waterpump could also be bad.

575

check coolant levels if they are low the car will run hot... and like the previous guy said temperature sending unit probably needs to be replaced and should check water pump for leaks.

6,595

removing the thermostat will damage the catalytic converter... i know this coz i let something like this happen. very $$ mistake.

50

If the fluid gets low enough to make the "low fluid" indicator come on, or when the system has been drained & refilled it has to be "burped" of air in the lines. If there's air in the lines it will appear to run warmer than normal as if it has a sticky thermostat. The car has to be elevated at the right front so that air in the system can escape into the plastic reservoir on the right side .. it may take 3 or 4 cycles of letting it get warm enough for the thermostat to open and then close back down in order to get it all.

Ok this is my opinion on this subject. This was a bad design of a car cooling system. I didn't remove my thermostat. I went with one at 160 degrees and boom it work perfect. The therm. Open earlier and the engine ran cool. I replaced everything before figuring this out. Bad design.

My cavalier is having this problem as well. And I've replaced everything. The thermostat is the problem. My mother in law had to do it with both her jeeps as well.

10

I have a 2002 cavalier changed thermostat temp sensor,waterpum doesnt leak and still runs out of fluid everday just had head and gasket changed cant find any leaksneed help