Radio draining the battery

Asked by Sep 11, 2015 at 12:11 AM about the 2000 Jaguar S-TYPE 3.0

The radio keeps coming back on after shutting the radio off then the car off.
After a few minutes I hear the radio is on in the garage shut it off and again
the SOB comes back on.
Had it in the shop when picked up radio does not work.  The fuse Is good but
replaced with new anyway, still no radio.  Any trouble shooting ideas?

We have 3 Jaguars, a 2000 S-type 3.0 V6,  a 2001 XJ8 and a 1998 XK8, all
three are maintenance and repair nightmares.  When they run they are a
dream to drive, we hardly every have all three running at once.  It's a good
thing we have a few more reliable cars to drive as the Jags are the worst for
reliability that we own out of six cars and two motor homes.  They are the
worst cars we have ever owned.  When Ford owned Jaguar I think they
became much less reliable.  The plastic motor parts have failed on all three
Jaguars as they do on the Ford cars as well.  BMW owners are having the
same problems according to their own mechanics.  

Back to our S-type radio problem does anyone have a solution.?

Tars Campbell

The Rolls pictured is not ours I think it's a picture of a nice car we took at a Concurs somewhere. I made an offer on an White 1982 Rolls, it was accepted then the seller backed out. The owner at the Jag shop in Portland, Oregon said we dodged a bigger bullet than the Jags shoot at us. Even so we will probably buy one in the next couple of years providing we find a really good buy. After that I am getting way too old for my car hobbies my wife puts up with.

228,125

Maybe it's the radio itself vs a wiring issue in the car?

1,345

is it a stock radio and has there been any electrical stuff added to the car? when you parked it you take the key all the way out of the ignition?

4,925

Well, if it is the original Jag radio, it is 15 years old. It could be the on-off switch is just worn to the point that any vibration may turn it back on. What happens if you just go for a drive and don't turn on the radio at all? Does it still turn on?

Every thing is original, with exception of tires and a few motor parts like coil packs, water pump and like items, all replaced with Jaguar parts. the radio has never given us any problems except goin on after we take the key out, close the door and leave it in the garage. That has happened numerous time, enough to ruin a few batteries over time. We never leave the key in the car and always set the alarm by locking it with the key fob. There are no ad ons, this car is completely Jaguar stock, the battery is an Interstate replacement battery, suggested by the Jaguar mechanic. Maybe it's time to check the radio out, however I can not figure out how to get it out of the car. G Thank you gents for the replies. Tars

Forgot to answer part of the question, while driving the radio never has come on unless we want it on. It has only come on after we parked, at the store or in the garage with the key off and in my pocket not left in the car. However after the last service it will not work at all. Tars

4,925

There is nothing wrong with an Interstate battery. They are a nation wide company. If I understand your timeline, now the radio does not work at all. You never mentioned what brand it is and/or if it has CD, SW, SAT or what but at this point I have to say the problem is within the circuitry of the radio itself. Not good.

The radio is the standard Jag radio,with Jaguar written on the tape cover, with trunk mounted CD, tape player in the radio, am / fm, not a SAT. It's the same radio in all three of our Jags, hover the XK8 says it's a Kardon or some such brand in the booklet. It works identical to the other two. Only the S-type has the Gremlins in it. Tars

1,345

i think i would take the pos battery cable off hook a test light up one side to the batt post and the other end to the cable doors shut pull the hood light out see if the light stays lit if so start pulling fuses one by one. Pull one see if the light goes out if not put it back and keep going but start with the radio fuse 1st. when you find the one or two that shut it off there is you starting ground

Try turning ignition off SLOWLY, ensuring steering wheel retracts fully to its home position. I had the same problem and find this is the total solution. Hope it works for you.