1996 Camaro won't start HELP

15

Asked by Jun 08, 2009 at 09:09 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet Camaro RS

Ok here is the deal, the fuel pump went out, went today gave $225.00 for new one, got it put in still did not start, went back to autozone got the relay another $20.00. Still wont start. Husband says its not getting juice to fuel pump, cause he hooked it up direct to make sure the fuel pump was working, but it still not starting, Please anyone know what the heck is up with this crazy thing? The motor is 3800 V6.

5

Did you check to see if there is any spark? May need a set of wires, plugs or cap & rotor. Best advice would be by a v8 :)

15

my friend had the same problem in his cavelier and he replaced the ignitioin switch and it worked. you can try that and if it works welcome if not sorry.

7,205

is the starter relay clicking? hmm another problen could be below the dashboard. that is where the ignition switch usually is that@derek mentioned. i'd have to check the manual.

15

The motor turns over but not getting gas. We can prime it and it start right up but wont stay running. My father in law told us to run a hot wire from the relay itself back, we tried that but couldn't find any of the wires that was hot. Hubby wants to put a 350 down in it, Will it fit?

125

350 will fit (the Z28s all had 350s in it). Check the fuses and check the wiring. chances are it's either a short or a blown fuse. and as far as dropping a 350 in there, he'd be putting more money into that car in the swap alone than it's worth. you have to replace pretty much the entire drivetrain as well as the PCM and even including the rear end and driveshaft. it's a very expensive conversion and it's very time consuming and labor intensive. I hope he knows what he's getting into but it sounds like he doesn't if he didn't even know if it would fit.

7,325

take a voltmeter and check all your fuses. one is hot for sure if not multiple ones

7,205

ASSUMING that your FUSES are OK, check out the starter enable relay too. any trouble codes? MAF(mass air flow sensor) could be out? do u hear the throttle position sensor acivate/deativate too? Idle Air Control? these are the items i'd suspect are the problem. you said it was prime started so i'm thinking that starter solonoid kicked in & it was able to run ok and most engine controlls work while in 'run' condition . these are the things tied in with the fuel pump. i hope u find the culprit.

15

WE GOT IT RUNNING YEAH, IT WAS A BURNT WIRE. ITS ALWAYS THE SIMPLE THINGS. THANKS TO ALL THAT ANSWERED.

40

I am having the same problem I have a 96 camaro 3800 about two weeks ago I was on my way home and turned the corner on my street as soon as I hit the dip it turned off I replaced the fuel pump and relay and nothing I prime it and it starts and then turns off please help

80

Where was the burnt wire?