what is the average mileage lifespan of the 2007 Ford Explorer XLT?

Asked by Mar 31, 2013 at 03:36 PM about the 2007 Ford Explorer XLT

what is the average mileage lifespan of the 2007 Ford Explorer XLT?  I know Hondas are good for 200-
300k miles...
Also, how much repair have these vehicles needed?

25,435

I have seen some with close to 200k. They will last longer than that i think people just get rid of them before that. They do have some transmission trouble. Bad for radiators leaking and thermostat housings. Have put many of wheel bearings in. No major engine trouble. Biggest thing is transmissions other things i listed are an easy fix. Rear ends whine in most of them. But overall there not bad people run them for a long time

78,065

Don't know about the 07's but my 99 AWD 5.0 liter ran for 256000 before it broke a piston and I really used it hard. Might have got more out of it if I had treated it a little better, tranny never gave me any grief, only thing went bad was the transfer case's viscous clutch locked up, had to have it replaced.

15,370

The older explorers hold up pretty good, up to 2000 that I know of. Have handed down three between 95 and 99 to relatives and they are still in use. 200K + miles with 4.0 v6's. Had one tranny replaced by a highschool buddy whose dad opened a tranny shop in the 50's. Not one tranny problem after that. Seems his suggestion worked. "Forget the 100K crap in the owners manuel. Bring me the car every 40K with a one dollar bill. I'll change all the fluid and the filter." So far he has been correct.

10

My 97 Exployer XLT has 350,000. Miles My mechanic tells us its done, the trans is going out. We bought it in 98, it had 17k on it. I'm almost tempted to rebuild...mech says no, costs too much, not worth it. (Same mech twenty years; he also milked 180k miles out of our 85 Coupe De Ville. Guess I'll listen. wondering about another Exployer; but am wanting better gas mpg.

78,065

I agree with him, 350K on an Exploder is good I only got 210K out of my 99 Exploder, they just aren't worth much. As far as getting better mileage you will have to sacrifice some size, weight, and engine displacement. Do some research into the vehicles you are interested in on the internet, look at pros and cons and go from there.

15,370

Really depends on two things, the persons individual economic position, and the condition of the rest of the vehicle. My daughter's 99 is getting up there in mileage but the appearance of the vehicle, inside and out, is very good. four G's for a reman engine may not be so bad when looking at the price of new and newer used vehicles.

1,115

My '92 had 256,000 miles on it when my daughter traded it in. That was 3 years ago, and I still see it every now and then around town. The running boards and other parts have fallen off due to rust, but it's still going!

I have a 2013 Explored sport, biturbo 365 HP, and thus far with 30,000 miles nothing relevant. Just normal service and total cost since day one until now with service is less than $800 and performance, reliability and overall quality is just great!

5

Im about to get a 99 Ford explorer XLT, detailed in and out, fresh tires, never been damaged, it was simply serviced routinely and owned by someone wealthy.... passed smog inspection and has a fresh oil change and fresh tires from the dealership; Totally fresh and clean, interior looks like its never been used and everything works, but the mileage is the only thing daunting to me...it has 176,000 miles on it. I love ford explorers, let alone an XLT, and Im seeing like, 97's that arent XLT's going for like $1800 that have that same mileage OR more but are older and not as good. I already put a down payment on the car and I want to buy it...Im guessing I can get a good 250,000 out of it?a Solid 4 years of easy transportation from SF to LA and ventura....like no mountains or hills...so...Its a GREAT fair bargain right???

15,370

I've owned two 99 XLT's, each purchased for my children when new and off for college. One daughter still has her's. I maintained both. The one she still owns has 200K. Burns a little oil, but nothing to be concerned about, runs good. She has the 4.0 V6 Over head valve engine which I believe is more durable than the SOHC engine. The AC evap core is outside under the hood with the rest of the AC components, so changing/repairing AC trouble does not necessitate dashboard removal and is pretty straight forward. Now for some things to be aware of. Door strikers (round post screwed into the pillars wear out. Ford no longer stocks them, but they can get them at about four times the price of one's which can be located on the internet. The striker for the hatch goes out, but the plastic insert which wears out can usually be purchased at any big box auto parts store for a few bucks. If your doors need to be slammed to close, the strikers are worn. The drivers side door is usually the first one to go out. When you locate them on the net, purchase 4, you'll eventually need them. continued

15,370

The suspension is torsion bar. Ball joints and upper and lower bushings were changed twice at about 80K miles each time. Ball joints and bushings are made onto the upper and lower control arms. Control arm must be changed as a unit with ball joint and control arm bushings already attached. Don't overdo it on the highway. 65 should be more than enough. Reason: Do not know how well the tranny in your vehicle was serviced. Hopefully, you will not be tooling around with the original 18 year old tranny fluid flowing through it's veins. Good Luck

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer Eddie bower with 247k miles on it one owner all I can say is I just took it from camas Washington to San Diego California and back with not one problem all I've done Is keep up on the maintance with full synthetic oil and replaced the radiator that's all you get what you put into to your vehicle, you treat it good and it will definitely stay reliable and I'm not a ford guy at all but 300k it will hit no problem 4.0 single over head cam