2007 Ford Escape used transmission

10

Asked by Jun 15, 2017 at 07:38 PM about the 2007 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

Our 2007 Ford Escape's transmission just died at
103k miles. The only transmission place near us
can get a used transmission with 90k miles on it
for a reasonable price but I am wondering if we're
taking a risk of that one kicking the bucket in the
near future. Has anyone done this with good
results? They can't get a warranty on it.

68,005

Let's see.......your's failed at 103K miles and you are considering an unknown used one with 90K miles. Does this NOT sound like a dumb idea? Think about it. Perhaps get yours rebuilt?

32,735

YOU NEED TO FIND OUT JUST WHATS WROND WITH YOURS ! WHATS IT DOING(NEED INFO) THE ONLY TRANS SHOP NEAR YOU??WHAT DID THEY SAY???DID THEY PULL THE PAN?? ANY METAL??? IS THE FLUID BURNT??DOES IT LEAK? O/D light blinking ..IF A TRANS SHOP OR THAT TRANS SHOP WONT STAND BEHIND IT,SOMETHINGS FISHEY... THEY WOULD HAVE PULLED THE PAN/SERVICED FILTER/LOOKED FOR ANY HARD PART JUNK IN IT !!

32,735

HI BOB...A TRANS SHOP OR SO CALLED ONE..THAT DIDNT CHECK OUT THE BASICS...AT MY TRANS SHOP I WOULD GIVE 6 MONTH WARRENTY..THEN THEY WANT THE CORE TOO...I BET..

68,005

Hello Kelly, in my opinion a used transmission is almost never a good idea, especially a higher mileage one.

1,155

90K is not all that high for A 10 year old unit. While I will only install them as a matter of last resort. The Ford escape unit is an expensive rebuild. At 103k A transmission failure is rare. More common is an electrical issue. Stuck or faulty solenoid PCM failure. Impropper fluid service or severe use. Can you describe the symptoms that sent you to the trans shop? It is very difficult to diagnose a transmission issue via computer. But it never hurts to try.

10

Capn_Steve We initially took it to our regular mechanic because it started shaking and sounding labored while idling. He thought it was the torque converter and sent us to a transmission shop. They agreed, saying they thought the torque converter was catching so they told me we needed to be prepared to replace the whole transmission since the torque could be throwing metal into the transmission. I'm going to call a couple places farther away for more quotes, but we live in a really remote, rural area so our choices are limited. They didn't offer a rebuild as an option. We have always kept up with all regular maintenance and this is a family car, we aren't​ rough on it. We just did all the 100k services a month ago and have put new shocks, tires, and brakes on it in the last year so we'd like to hang onto it.

1,155

While it is remotely possible That you have a transmission problem. It is not very likely. The torque converter is just a fluid pump of sorts. There is a clutch in there to provide lockup when overdrive is commanded by the PCM. It is normally off and cannot mechanically drag. A solenoid could be failing causing inadvertent clutch apply. But that would not cause the converter to spew metal. I suspect a transmission shop that did not offer a rebuild option may be simply going with the first shops diagnosis, because it will be an easy sell. I predict better than 50 percent odds that a new transmission will not solve this problem. How does the vehicle perform otherwise? does it drive well? check engine light on?

10

No check engine light, the shifting had been a bit labored so we were worried about it for about a weekish before this happened. I called a place an hour away that has a good reputation and they gave me a cheaper quote on a rebuild with a good warranty so we're getting it out to them for a look and whatever repairs. Three different places that looked at the car said they thought it was the torque converter independent of each other so maybe I'm just not offering a good description of what they told me. One doesn't do transmissions, one said he didn't want to do a Ford Escape's transmission, and the third was the one I initially posted about. I was really uncomfortable with the idea of a used transmission and you all reinforced that, so I definitely appreciate your responses. I feel more comfortable with my options now even though it's a pain to have to go an hour away. That's rural living!

1,155

I would not do business with a "Transmission shop" that does not want to rebuild transmissions. Unfortunately in the Transmission field. New technology requires techs and builders to get training regularly. And many shops don't invest the time. A shop that quotes more money to install a used unit over a rebuilt one was obviously taking advantage of the fact that they were all that was available. Rural living is wonderful until something like this happens. I am still willing to bet there is an electronic component failure that will fix this issue. Good luck with the new shop.