Car won't start

Asked by Mar 02, 2016 at 08:50 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr LS Sedan

My 97 lumina 3.1 v6 is having issues firing. I'm
getting 7 volts at the fuse block for the fuel pump
relay when the key is turned on. Im only getting .23
volts at my oil pressure switch connector. I know
the FP is good because I directed hot power to the
relay and it turned on. All my wires look good to the
oil sensor. When I hot wired my FP and tried
starting the car it still won't start. What should I do
next?

88,975

Still sounds like you have major wiring issues, I suggest you get a shop manual with good wiring diagrams and start doing voltage drop tests on the circuits. If you haven't done so already load test the battery and replace the battery cables.

What should the voltage to the oil sensor be? Its a pulse circuit right?

88,975

Is it the sensor or the sender?

Sensor. Right above the oil filter on the block. It has one dark blue wire feeding it.

88,975

According to my book that is the knock sensor, oil pressure on your rig should have 4 wires.

Hmm.. I'm not finding any with 4 wires. Which sensor would most likely be the cause of the PCM to shut down the fuel delivery system? I have no error codes or warning lights on my dashboard. The airbag light flashes 7 times then shuts off, the security light comes on for a few seconds then shuts off, and the oil light comes on and stays on until crank.. This all happened after installing a new stereo. No fuses were blown and everything is hooked up properly.. I can get the car to fire by spraying starter fluid in the throttle body.. Battery is fully charged.. Relays work..is there another set of pins on the PCM I can move my fuel pump power to? Any advice will help I'm at a stand still now..

88,975

As it won't run when you applied voltage to the fuel pump, that sounds like a failure in the injection system, so test the injector power, that should be battery voltage when the key is on, if you have voltage then test the driver out of the ECM a test light should flash when hooked to power and the ground side of an injector plug, if you don't have voltage then trace out the injector power circuit, if you don't have a driver signal then check the injector ground circuits.

88,975

Have you checked for any codes?

The scanner only says link error

88,975

I would go back and recheck the radio install, something happened there, could be a ground they used or a KAM power that really wasn't KAM, something.

Now I'm battling battery issues.. It fails under load..

88,975

Sometimes a battery that was good and is subjected to a higher than normal load like an extended cranking due to some problem, like yours, will cause it to fail, it was most likely slightly weak and this just brought it to light earlier.