What would cause my car to stop accelerating but still run?

40

Asked by May 27, 2014 at 04:59 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Base

I have a 97 chevy cavalier just
recently had to replace the gas tank.
But now my car is having troubles
starting and when I drive it will drop
speed and won't accelerate but
doesn't shut off. When in park it's
sputters like it's going to die but
doesn't.

16,665

Problems that NEVER existed UNTIL AFTER someone touches or changes something are just like Ivory Soap- that is, they are 99 % pure(ly) related. Go back to whomever changed your tank.

40

It's always had problems starting it's just worst now. They replaced the gas tank twice in the past month. Replace the fuel filter and cleaned the fuel pump. They don't know what's causing it now

16,665

first it's ..."replace the gas tank.But NOW my car is having troubles...". now it's : " ALWAYS HAD problems ,,," t.t.f.n.

9,685

Possible bad fuel pump,cleaning want make it run,pumps a bad pump will run until its hot most of the time,check fuel pump

16,665

TopShadeTree - my only problem with this person is when their story changes I figure they are just out pulling our leg. I have a complete distrust when the story changes.

9,685

Agreed, chassy

40

First of all, my car always has problem hence it broke down December replaced throttle and cam sensor, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter. Now I had a cracked gas tank replaced it. My car now while I'm driving will not accelerate but not shut off. I'm being told it's the transmission because my fuel pump is NOT bad they checked it last week when the replaced my gas tank a second time. Also 97 cavalier always had a starting problem. But now that I'm getting everything replaced it's making it worse. Not sure if my mechanic is depending trying to get other input.

9,685

A fuel pump can be tested, in general,and yes most will pump,but that said,fuel pump will run outside of tank,and yes it will pump fuel,but ,was it time tested under pressure load?The fuel pressure on your pump has to pump at least 45 psi to open your fuel injectors correctly. If you have replaced all componets that you say you have.Take a second look at that pump, thats what i would do.Its not new and even it is,i would look there.good luck with it.

40

Thank you. I'm taking it back to the shop

65

Check the fuel pressure at the throttlebody. I believe the Cavalier runs around 32psi, if you're below that. Replace the fuel pump.

40

Can I check that at home? And if so how? I'm young and d

40

Don't have a lot of money to spend to get it chrcked

65

A Haynes or Chilton repair manual is an excellent investment. You'll need a pressure gauge, available at your local parts store (sometimes on loan). The manual will show you the rest. ;)