Overheating.changed the therm. mechanics say water pump is good. Is getting warm. Coolant coming frm jug. But oil is is free of h20 . Plugs r good. No power loss. Isnt getting real hot. Radiator cap?

245

Asked by Oct 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

I know these cars are infamous for bad
heads but I do not think that's it.

I did not read the question correctly...just get a new 205 degree thermostat...problem solved~

69,295

Check to make sure the radiator cooling fans are coming on. I'd suspect this first if it overheats while idling. Like stuck in traffic or waiting in line at a drive through. How's your heater working? If it's not or you're getting Luke warm air suspect a cooling system that's restricted by deposits. A good flushing may be needed. This is also suspected if you're overheating while driving. Lastly, I'm assuming you made sure the cooling system is full of coolant and free of air. HTH. -Jim

245

I've replaced the thermostat. I've burped it a few times. The jug is full. I'm replacing the jug just to be sure and I guess the radiator cap us all I have left to change. My hwat works and esp once I start goinf past my reg 195. Running the heater makes the car cool off a little but incen I've taken a 15 min trip and sit and idol I'm losing coolant and getting hot.

69,295

If you've got high mileage the timing chain may be worn. Are you experiencing loss of power and late transmission shifts? If so, I'd suspect a worn timing chain. HTH. -Jim

the jug steamin'? how? the return hose has fallen off? these things are supposed to run about half full when cold and about 2/3 full hot....NOT overheat....no good charlie, Jim's right something major here....check the timing chain tensioner to see if it's run out of tension~ DOHC engines are frightening...it can "half-work okay" which we think is the situation that you're in now.~ (may not be a troublesome double, but still has a tensioner that will run out of room with time)~

245

I have power. I'm getting warm not hot. Nd its "half" the time. Sometimes I can drive locall idol and be okay. I'm reading low coolant but its not low!

245

I just changed the cap and it seems to be doing better. I'm going to change the jug to see if that is why my call at like continues to stay on even when I'm over filled.

245

Low coolant light*

this light is the least of your problems if there is major engine surgery needed here...one must remove the timing cover and inspect that there isn't too much chain stretch and the pressure foot has not run out of space~

69,295

Since the low coolant light is on and you're not low on coolant my next question is are you really overheating? Could there be an electrical problem causing the gauge to read hotter than it really is? -Jim

perhaps the "dip tube" what returns the coolant has fallen off..absent...perhaps fell into the drink~

245

I'm not allowing it to get hot (red) bc I shut it off. But it would if I let it. When I would pop the hood it would bubble or gulp(sound wise) I changed the cap. I believe the caps seal was broken bc itnwas suppose to be pressurized and was not working correctly

69,295

That'll cause overheating. The cooling system is designed to work under pressure. This raises the boiling point. So if the cap wasn't holding pressure then that may be the problem. HTH. -Jim

245

I got and pray this works. My only cincern now is the coolant light won't go off.

the translucent reservoir jug does not hold the pressure...the radiator does...reservoir jug should be FULL HOT not more...not bubblin' is just a reservoir...has a return line goin' up the middle...be sure this is all in order~

I do have the same probrem with my car its chevy cavalier 2002 it says it doesnt have cooler even when is full then i gets hot and the drops the water out but if i speed up a little bit the tempereture metter goes down again

I do have the same probrem with my car its chevy cavalier 2002 it says it doesnt have cooler even when is full then i gets hot and the drops the water out but if i speed up a little bit the tempereture metter goes down again i already switched the thermostate the and is doing it again

Yeyo any luck I'm having the same issue with my 02 cavalier

245

I changed my thermostat and it helped but then I changed my cap and that helped fix it for good. But soon after developed s hole in a hose I had to have fixed and I wonder if that was the underlying cause.

245

I now have a 2012 Chevy Cruz so no problems yet lol

10

I'm having the same problem, the timing belt is good as I have power and there was no problems with the gears shifting! But when you guys are talking about the Cap are you talking about the coolant jug cap? Because my car does not have a rad Cap! It's a 2001 so it might be a bit different since 96-2001 were abit different then 2002 and up.

my wife drove here 2002 cavalier hot to the car cut off it had a hole in radiator fixthat now it gets hot an not rining rite