Why is my 98 cavalier getting hot when it has a new water pump, Heater core and thermastat plus, radiator has been cleaned?

Asked by Aug 27, 2012 at 08:01 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

As of the past week I have experienced a couple of different thing happening with my car. Last week I had my oil
light indicator come on and yet my oil is full. Went and bought a sending unit as it was the cheapest thing to
trouble shoot first and now even though I havent placed it in the car yet the oil light now doesnt come on and
hasnt since the first day it came on????? No I have the coolant light come on and I have replaced within the last
2 months the heater core and water pump and thermostat so why is my car still giving me grief?

35

sometimes you can get faulty thermostats, its happened before

10,345

It is quite possible that with the installation of the new thermostat and water pump, that your radiator cap is now failing. Ideally you always want to change it with the thermostat. In regards to the oil light. It should read pressure, not level, therefor the wrong weight oil under heavy acceleration, a clogged sensor or engine sludge can trip the oil light.

2,295

i agree with michael you should flush both the coolant system and oil system when doing a service as sludge will build up in both the sump and the bottom of the radiator worst case senareo is to change the radiator and to drop the sump off and clean it and the oil pick up pipe and filter

5

If it's just the coolant light that is coming on, check the level first. If the level is fine, smack the resevior a couple times. Could possible be a stuck level sensor.

7,525

there is an oil level sensor switch, i had one in my rivi. it is just on the side of the oil pan. it never worked well for me either. i just let it go. as long as the pressure sensor reads fine, u are good to go. happy motoring.