fluid light

Asked by Feb 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

I have topped off the cooling fluid, but the fluid light remains on.  When running the car for about an hour I have noticed no leaks.  Yet when it sits overnight the pavement is wet where some of the coolant has leaked out somewhere.  If I leave it for a few days the resevoir will be empty.  I see no signs of leakage from the resevoir.  Any suggestions?

No offense kewceeman, some people are not aware that the reservoir should be nearly empty, or only maybe 1/4 full COLD, are you topping off the overflow tank to the top cold? Let's start there...

there is a scientific explaination. It is called co-efficient of thermal expansion and caused the coolant to be more dense and take up less space than when the molecules are 'excited' and take up more space.

...but perhaps a cooant leak in the headgasket---would have to look at the oil stick-

102,315

The coolant reservoir takes the thermal expansion into account with clear marking that show the hot and cold levels. -- Park the car on ramps for the night, slip a piece of cardboard under it and check for the leak in the morning.

102,315

The fluid light staying on is a common problem with the GM's. The float in the reservoir sticks. Get it a rap with a screwdriver handle. Find the leak first then worry about the bottle.

the pickup tube falling off the lid caused a hyundai to overheat, on one job. Instantly I lost respect for hyundai, putting so much stock on a tiny piece of plastic that lets go and causes catastrophic undisclosed failure. That was a toughie!

cracked reservoir read the question, he fills the wrong thing and then it's empty? Typical in GM coolant reservoir but yet he says he I see no signs of leakage from the reservoir but it's empty? Wrap some newspaper under the reservoir and fill it again just for fun.

QC man? quality control man?...would be mindful should be broken and spilling -rather- then disappearing into the engine- ya- think kewceeman?

102,315

And I'm sick of reading your snide, punk ass remarks towards me. Go Google "coolant light cavalier" and you will see that the GM cars do in fact have a low coolant light. Good bye yourself and good riddance.

Gentlemen please. we are here to help the genpop and each other through our difficulties. I can't tell you the valuable things I've learned and it is because of your genious! Your are both superheros to me and it breaks my heart...please be nice, you are embarassing ALL of the GURUs!

875

Do you see any coolant stains around the water pump or maybe around the thermostat housing?

8,915

The simple way to have the problem diagnosed is to have the cooling system pressure tested. Guessing by remote control is never going to solve the problem. If the leak is not obvious from the pressure test, there is a dye that can be poured in, when you drive the car for a couple days, and it is checked with black light. That shows, instantly, where the smallest of leaks is.

Displaying parts for your 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 4 AC Delco Coolant Reservoir Level Sensor Part Number: AC22565474 Manufacturer Number: 22565474 or sometimes called a float those stupid idiots at GM

102,315

A rubber "pallet" Gary? Sweet, maybe you'll get one for your birthday next Saturday. Tacoma will be proud...

Yuk Yuk ah OK thank you oh and I found you to on the internet but I didn't have to read your about me, because there is nothing to read about you wonder why but we don't need to know about you because we all know..

Look out. He will bite you with sharp biting wit!<<<

rediculous meaty goose legs and bare chest? you've got the wrong monkey, my man.