Any known problems with 1997 T-5 Turbo or 2000 S80 T-6 Twin Turbo?

Asked by May 30, 2008 at 06:22 AM about the 1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo

I have been looking at purchasing a 1997 Volvo 850 t-5 turbo with a really good deal ($4,650 USD). It has 109,500 miles on it and they said the timing belt was changed (or at least it says on the engine) it was changed at 45,000 miles. The car looks in perfect condition other than a couple little scratches. Any recommendations?

Also looking at the 2000 s80 t-6 twin turbo for someone else the car has 101,000 miles on it and no interior or exterior flaws with great deal also. ($6,500 USD) Just wondering if in either situation there is or are any major flaws that should be noted. Recommendations?

Where do you live? If it's a true badged T5-R then it's a 1995, or you live in the UK, or it was imported from the UK. I would be looking to change the Timing belt, should do it every 60K miles, do the water pump and serp belt while you/or mechanic are in there. Check the rear main seal, check the A/C blows cold, check the front axles for wear/bushing as well. Go here and on the home page click on repairs and maintenance, then click on "Enter Bay 13"...Lots of great info and reading. Good luck!

Check the upper engine mount, the ABS system, the keyless remote, and the turbo oil return line. Get an upper engine mount from IPD, the factory one is weak. The ABS system fails on these cars and the light will be lit on the instrument cluster, the speedometer will also work incorrectly or not at all with the ABS box failure. Keyless remotes just die! The turbo oil return line usually leaks at the o-ring seal and the flange gasket. Fix is easy if you are handy. See Bay 13 for more details. 97 850 T-5 IPD everything, 05 S60R, 01 V70XC IPD sway bars. Cheers!!

I just purchased a 1997 850 T5 Turbo. I don't have the history on the car but it runs great and handles great. Awkward you mentioned timing belt cuz I just had it replaced to. I am still learning but thought I share that.

4 Volvos I am having the exact problems you just mentioned. The turbo oil return line is leaking and I need to fix it. Keyless remotes is not worth the trouble cuz I was thinking about making a keyless entry.

A few months ago picked up my 2nd volvo 850, was a 96 850 Turbo. Great car just needed some maintenance but other than that excellent. The oil return lines sometimes can be a problem but the car with 150K + on it was still doing fine. Fun car and they should make another run of the 850's!