Problem with the clutch: it goes flat and I cannot engage gears but if I just lift it up with my foot if takes gears then moves- what could be the problem Volvo 850 GLT 1995

Asked by Nov 06, 2013 at 07:31 AM about the 1995 Volvo 850 GLT

There are no leaks but the clutch sometimes cannot not come back to its normal position such that gears cannot be engaged however if I just lift it back to its position then it takes gears as normal. The second question is it stops smoking with a new oil but reving it high the smoke comes back

Got the answer, the clutch cylinder was leaking but because the boot was stiil in a very good or excellent condition it could not drop any fluid.

If the boot is still in good condition, you can actually shift the boot with a finger and have a friend to pump the clutch then that is what has been the problem because you can actuall observe the leak.