1992 Volvo 740 non-turbo regina ignition Wagon

15

Asked by Aug 15, 2012 at 02:13 PM about the 1992 Volvo 740 Wagon

Hi,

My Volvo Station Wagon died suddenly while driving (near the end of a trip. Once towed home, I tested spark at coil and at plugs (good). I replaced fuel filter (we've had a rash of bad - watered - fuel from local stations lately). Cranked on the starter to see if that would fix it. It still will not fire.

So I opened the engine side fuel filter fitting. I have good preassure past the fuel filter. I have spark at the plugs. But it will not fire at all.

Any suggestions?

Frank

4,885

Have you tried starting it with starting fluid or other spray?

4,885

Does the engine sound normal? (Timing belt didnt skip or break did it?)

4,885

Do you have power at the fuel injectors? Can you smell fuel?

4,885

Sorry for the separate posts, I didnt want to condense my answers into a tight paragraph.... If the injectors arent getting power, fuses and relays check okay, and you dont smell fuel your PCM may be bad. Typically I only see the Bosch Pink Label units go bad... but then again I havent encountered many Regina's.

15

Thank you. I will try that. I also replaced the fuel pressure regulator. I suspect that the fuel injectors are not delivering fuel. Is there any way to test this?

15

The timing belt is intact. What triggers the fuel injectors? I see vacum lines running up to them, and they are obviously connected to the fuel injector rail, but no other obvious trigger mechanism... I don't see wires to trigger a selenoid, so I'm guessing it's not electronic fuel injection. The fuel is supposed to be at 300kpa at the rail, but there's no test port to hook up a pressure gague.

95

it sounds like you have water in your fuel see if you can undo a fuel pipe in front of the fuel pump get a can of fresh fuel put a pipe on and into the can and try to re start if this works drain fuel tank and re fuel you may need a two way connector to do this.

105

My '89 has the Bosch fuel injection so I'm not much help here...

4,885

The injectors are electronic....... Unplug one of the injector wires and probe it with a volt meter (an old analog meter is usually best, or a digital meter with a "max hold" setting... which will tell you what the max voltage seen was. Turn the car over and see if you get 12 volts. The power will be intermittent as the injector only gets power when it is time for that injector to squirt fuel.

4,885

I came across this as well. http://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volvo/1299222/940/960/980/V 90/S90/93_940_sedan_nostart_rexregina_vehicle.html

15

Ok. I found the problem. The timing belt is stripped. Injectors were fine, as were the plugs, etc.

95

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/category/740-23-23i- sedan-stationwagon-87-90 try this site it covers all

4,885

Ah! Belt looked good but the teeth were missing? Glad you figured it out!