engine dash light stays on. how do i get it off

150

Asked by May 05, 2013 at 01:22 PM about the 2006 MINI Cooper Hatchback

I have a mini cooper 2006 and the engine light is on solid. Took it in to Mini dealer and
they spent 2 hours diagnosing, and couldn't find any air or oil leaks anywhere. Wanted
permission to spend whatever $$$ it takes to find air leak. replaced gas cap etc. turned off
the light using a gizmo, still comes back on. Any advice? I'm inclined to take the bulb out
altogether.  doesn't cause any running problems

26,345

What are the trouble codes?

93,605

Get the codes read at the parts store. Write down the trouble code number and post it here. Someone will advise the most cost effective solution.

150

Took to BMW Gallery, Mini Crowfoot, Calgary month ago. The owners manual says: "The exhaust emissions have deteriorated, have vehicle checked". Mechanic said: "Scanned vehicle. found relevant fault code (I think it is 54) stored in the system DME control unit: DMTL power out problem, checked wires, found an open circuit between DMTL pump to the control unit. Cleared codes, but will return when systems re-scans." When I searched online, all it said was what the manual says. I said to the service manager, if it is a wire, why not run a new one. He said: "That's not the way we do things". In other words $$$$ right? So, he asked if it was running badly, and I said NO, and have in the past three months since the light has been on, put about 3000 miles on it, no problem. Service manager thinks it is minor. So, should I have them check emissions as manual indicates? or take to a different repair shop? I'm really hesitant when it comes to auto shops because I have been ripped off before. My friend Steve has the right gizmo to turn off the light, but it comes back on within a week. I'm thinking of selling it, but with that light on, it would be difficult. To repair it could be expensive, and poke and hope I think - in other words, they would replace parts, and turn off the light, and when it comes back on, they would just change out more parts, and expect me to pay them every time. Nada.

135

(Just and FYI) My 2006 would do it if I didn't screw gas cap on tight enough after 2 trips to dealer to get it shut off I made sure each time I tightened it at least 3 clicks.

135

... oops also meant to add unhooking battery and hooking back up helped too to turn it off. If I forgot the 3 clicks ..

150

I actually bought a new gas cap, and that didn't do it, so I put on an "O" ring to add some sealant, and some vaseline. Still light is on. I'll try unhooking battery.

26,345

Taking the battery cable off will clear the light but it will come back off if there is a fault.

150

Tried that today. Light still on. Have appointment at a non-mini repair shop Thursday

135

Was just an idea, sorry didn't work on your end.

you flooded the charcoal canister...the cap isn't supposed to be hermetically sealed but offers perhaps 10-15 lbs air pressure to escape...not like the toyota which suckles the cap like god's own teat~ do not fill the tank...have someone else do it, because once the filler goes click, you've gotta back the hell out of there immediatley~ just drive it with the factory cap (do you think they wanted you to lube it with vasoline?) stick to the book...obey~

150

Yes, BMW told me to try the vasoline trick. I took it to another mechanic, and they found the wire that was shorting out, and replaced it. Problem now solved. Thanks

yay. bookworm....some positive energy finally touches the heart~

I'm the same dude as judge_roy...guru number four, but did not want to compete with the experts...those guys have everything under control~

150

Sure glad I got it fixed, cause you never know do you? Now I think I'll keep the little fellar for a couple more years, and take it to my other mechanic whenever I have problems. BMW/Mini are great, but they want to do the whole meal deal rather than just replace a wire.

MINI's are awesome---more fun to drive than anything else available to me~

80

I have a 2002 mini s. gas light stays on all the time

60

Bookworm- my mini is doing the same thing what wire did they replace and how much did it cost?

100

06 cooper, code is p1498. I have spent thousands to get service engine lite off and this is code im getting. HELP

I think I am going to share this with my mini service department and ask them to get these problems fixed right on my car or else!!!!!

20

I have a 2008 Mini , not under warranty and have had this problem the entire time I've owned the car. The dealership kept the car several days, said it was a battery, replaced it and the light was back on a month later. Another mechanic who zi trust gave am a valve job,problem still exists, new sensor and problem persists. It's on right now, still. I have 170 thousand miles on the car and have had this problem the entire 7 years. It makes me crazy but other than that has been a great car and I will buy another one when this one dies.

320

I have a 2007 Mini cooper S, the check engine light is on the color is yellow. 80,000 miles. I have done the standard check list of things to look for and still no solution. I have had my car scanned by three different machines and NO CODE!!!! Ideas?

40

I have 02 mini and my light just came on two days ago i have tried take the battery cable off,man that shit doesn't work.

320

Yes i also tired disconnecting the battery, it didn't work. I have an appointment with Mini in a week

40

I have a 2011 Mini Cooper S, the Light in On sometimes when I exit the highway an proceed in the traffic, the next morning, the car is always great!! 125 miles , 98K in the Car!! MINIS ARE AWESOME!!!

120

Help! just about to sell my cooper s and all of a sudden the light on dash is coming on suggesting that I'm wheel spinning and the engine light has now come on?It drove lovely this morning but when I was on my way back and going to part ex it, literally 15 mins before I was about to sell to a dealer. When I pull off it seems to bog down then take off but its intermittent, any suggestions plz to turn light off so I can get my new car, doing my head in I've spent lots on it already???

120

what do you mean by gas cap and where is it located plz?

hello I have a mini cooper s 2006 and lost power light go driving EML was encencio and service engine soon to turn off and turn the car back to normal can not be help! I made a scanner out the fault code P1688 ? sack the mechanical assembly of electronic throttle and clean but seigue failure and now also get the code p1498 fails? help !! I do not want to lose my mini cooper s ! P1688 ?????? P1498 ??????

120

There's just to many sensors on the mini cooper s, even the sensors have sensors! If there is no obvious power loss or strange sounds emanating from the engine bay I would just put it on a diagnostic machine and see what it says. If It just says emissions then I wouldn't worry, seeing as vw have been altering theirs for years. It might be worth investing in a hand held diagnostic meter to just turn the lights out when need be, you can get them from Amazon quite cheap, for under £30 you can get one that gives the codes and the interpretation then asks you do you want the problem fixed and if its only emissions then turn the light off. They are also handy for when you want to part ex your car with a dealer!