I have had problems with steering

155

Asked by Feb 09, 2014 at 06:09 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base

in my 1998 Chevy Malibu. I've been told the problem is the rack(rod) whatever and pinion. Now I also need to replace the A-frame. Does anybody know how long a job like that will take? They have removed the broken parts and have the replacement parts but I feel like I am going to be without my car longer than I imagined.

9,695

A-frame. An A-arm or Sub-frame.

155

I was told it is the A-frame. Does that not sound right?

9,695

A-frame no. Could just be there mechanical lingo. If it's the subframe it will take awhile. Plus both these repairs require an allignment. Shouldn't take more than a day with the proper tools to do the alignment.

12,405

Go to another garage, one that specializes in car suspensions for a second opinion. Ask for the issues in writing so your memory will not change words. Also get a price estimate. Did you have damage to the car? Normal wear? Do you have high mileage? I have two cars, both with over 120K and only had an alignment at 90K not because of tire wear, but the dealer had a special on it. Once I got a proper (?) alignment did I start to notice abnormal tire wear. A second alignment fixed the problem. No parts were replaced and all are still working just fine. Buick and Pontiac in case your wondering. One is local driving, one is long distance freeway and road trips in use, both are full size vehicles.