I have a 2000 Chevy malibu with the 3.1 L V6 and a week ago my power steering stopped working, its like the car is turned off. I knowit is not a burst line because the fluid was full when i checked it

105

Asked by Travis Feb 25, 2010 at 03:18 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Malibu

I have a 2000 Chevy malibu with the 3.1 L V6 and a week ago my power steering stopped working, its like the car is turned off. I knowit is not a burst line because the fluid was full when i checked it. I need to know whats wrong and what it is going to cost to fix.

60

Depends... How many miles? Is there a wining nosie coming from the pump? What colors the oil in the pump?

15

I have a 2000 Impala, with the same problem. I am a mechanic. When i checked mine out, I found my power steering rack was bent. That may be your problem. My problem is only intermittent. I only lose my power steering when im cruising at parking lot speeds or slowing down to take a turn. It'll probably cost around $300 for a new one from a chevy dealer's parts counter. If you go to your local junk yard, head into the office, and tell them you're looking for a part. A good, non-shady yard will usually keep invoices on every car in the lot, and what they've sold off the cars. Just tell them what you need, give them the vin and other model info, and they'll look it up. If the car is in the yard, they'll usually find it. You may have to go to a couple of junk yards before you find it. You should be able to get a good used one or around $100 depending on the junk yard. If you have the tools and know-how, you should be able to swap it yourself. If not, take it to any of your local auto garages (non-dealership) and have them do it. They'll only charge for labor since you already have the part. Hope this was useful to you.

175

you need a pump Buddy. jut replaced mine in my 01 grand am. Did same thing

175

they do have an electronic assist too. had a customer in the other day that had a similar problem, turned out the sensor in the rack was gone and it needed replaced. mine was just a pump. But the other was the rack problem. does it get easier with the rpm increased? if so it may be the rack

The most common problem is the pump shaft breaking inside the pump-remanufactured pumps most likely

I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4 l and two Winters ago when the weather started changing to get really cold I noticed that my electronic stability control light was coming on indicating that there was an issue and it made the power steering go out it was intermittent at first but then as the winter progressed it ended up staying on every single time I started my car. I have basic automotive knowledge and diagnostic skills and when I was online looking up different problems that could be associated with the electronic stability control system in the power steering going out I found that three of the main common problems for that to go out is 1 the electronic stability control system motor that is at the bottom of your steering column there is like a locking plate inside of that motor that fails and we have to be replaced that is the most expensive problem that I would not start with first, the second problem that I found is that the wheel speed sensors could fail causing that problem, but the problem that I found with my car was that it was actually in the wheel hub bearing assembly because there is a sensor in the wheel hub bearing assembly that if it fails it sends the signal to the electronic stability control system and disabling it causing the power steering to go out so that way it is more of a safety feature to where you don't lose control of the vehicle but you can still drive it once I replaced my wheel hub bearing assembly my power steering started working again and haven't had any issues with it for over a year and most mechanics will say that the electronic still stability control system and the wheel hub bearing assemblies do not have anything to do with the other but it does. I hope this answer helps because my husband didn't believe me either that just because the wheel hub bearing assembly failed that it would cause my power steering / electronic stability control system to not work as well but I showed him