Do rear bumper shock can get stuck when it get hit?

5

Asked by Nov 13, 2012 at 09:30 PM about the 1990 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

Hello Club members, when I purchased my used Vanagon, I noticed my rear bumper got pushed in
about 2 inches and it never sprung back to its original state. I am thinking of having it fix. So, I went to
a body shop and told me they can stretch it out. But the price is too much. Then I went to another body
shop and told me I need a new rear bumper shock because my rear bumper shock did not sprung back.
He is talking about the two rear bumper shock connecting to the fiberglass bumper.  I don't know who
is telling the truth.  Please give me your honest opinion and I will really appreciate it.  Thanks.

246,305

Once one or both of the shocks are compressed, the gas gets expelled from the unit and should be replaced for safety reasons. You want them to work the next time your hit from behind. Find one at a local junkyard, remove your bumper cover and replace it if you want to save some money.

5

Thanks for your honest response. This will help me decide what to do and I do really appreciate it. Again, thanks.