What can be damaged when the timing belt snaps on a VW Passat?

Asked by Apr 24, 2015 at 01:04 PM about the 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T

The timing belt on my car snap and I want to
know what else was could've possibly been
damaged one that snapped. I took it to
Volkswagen and they are quoting me $4,000
for parts alone! So I wanna know what can
get damaged when the tinting belt snaps?!

It is an interference engine. If the VW Passat timing belt fails, the timing belt system that links the cylinder head, camshaft, and crankshaft no longer run in sync. Close tolerance engine designs allow for the cylinder head valves to hit the top side of the pistons. VW Passat timing belt failure on these engines usually results in catastrophic engine damage (i.e. bent valves and in some cases cracked pistons).

Best Answer
92,535

FordNut got it, not much else a guy can add to this.

21,965

Marked Mr. Nut as helpful even tho he's got like a zillion points- I would add to this- you have to fix this, so get some other quotes from people other than the dealer- if you find the lowest price, have them explain the work to be performed IN DETAIL- understand that they may not know the extent of the damage until they get the engine apart- If VW quoted you that much $ without pulling the head off, they are just scammin'- that price sounds REAL high, and could be POSSIBLE, but I would put money on a simpler, easier, cheaper fix-

1,375

The dealer is probably quoting a remanufactured cylinder head or long engine, rather than removing the cylinder head and having the valves and guides done by a machine shop. Of course this car needs its timing belt, water pump etc., that caused this damage to begin with.

9,265

The cost of this all depends on the engine you have in your car. If it is a 2.8L engine or any other type of v6 modal i would just recamend selling it for parts or scraping it and geting a new one. A new engine would be the less costly of a repair but its also a toss up and a risk especially if you get a used one. To be honest for the same cost of and engine and the work to be done you can get a good cheap used car for the same price. engine work on a timing belt snap is roughly 1500$ for an engine and up to 2000$ cost of the labor is going to be roughly a days worth of work so a 800-1200$ mechanic bill plus taxes. To redo the heads would cost aproxamitly the same on a v6 modal but maybe a couple hundred less on a 1.8L modal since its a single line engine *one head* instead of two.