What kind of oil for 2005 GSL Passat TDI ?

35

Asked by Jun 19, 2008 at 07:57 AM about the 2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDi

I just bought a used 2005 Passat TDI and was wondering what oil you recommend ? Does it have to be a synthetic oil ? HGT

43,935

Any good quality oil of the weight recommended on your car's oil cap will be fine. Does not have to be synthetic. Usual diesel oil weight is 15W40.

95

You MUST use European synthetic oil spec 505.01 (5W30 or better) for high pressure-pump diesel engines. If you are in Houston area I have 10 liters (2-5 liter containers) of French Motul Spec. 505.01 5W40. it if you need it. My dad had an 2004 Passat GLS TDI he bought new but it got totaled 6 months ago in a head on crash. The synthetic oil sold in the US, other than spec 505.01 sold at VW dealers, does NOT support this specification and will ruin your diesel engine.

8,375

Not true you have to check the specifics on the oil... I know the SAE 5W40 'Q Diesel Plus:Synthetic Blend' meets the requirement... It doesn't necessarily mean others won't work but only the ones that have tested their oil especially for this. The VW tests can not be achieved during standard SAE testing as most other manufacturer recommendations. It should be noted that some oils have been tested and failed... Mobil 1 products have not passed the test though the new 0W40 has not undergone the test yet... So says the Mobil website. Hope this helps...

140

Tony Polak is correct in the fact it must be 505.1 designation many different suppliers carry this oil, it is also 5w40 viscosity, the reason this is used is this ijection system is PUMPE DUSE, which means the individual injectors are made in such a way that they are also injector pumps, they are operated mechanci allyby an etrxa lobe on the camshaft and are controlled by the engine control module. The oil change inteval is 8000 km or 5000 miles, this is a very precise system and very expensive to repair, it also operates on a very high pressure up to 30000 psi so oil filter and fuel fuel changes are important.

905

the tdi engines specify 0w30 synthetic where i live. in ontario canada p.s. i used to work for a vw dealarship.

55

You can use 15w40 or 5w40 (recommended cause it's thinner). It does not have to be synthetic either oil is oil, as long as it lubricates. Why spend an arm and a leg for synthetic. OR check the owners manual.

8,375

Always follow the recommendations on an oil... To say otherwise just proves you tend to do what you do without any clue why you do what you do... Oil weight isn't the only requirement. I'm really getting sick of people saying conventional is fine when they haven't the slightest clue what they're talking about. The VW's 505.01 requires an oil to sustain at high temperatures which a conventional can't do reliably... Hence why all the oils that meet the requirement are synthetic blends or full synthetics. This is also why they have to pass an independent test since SAE does not check thermal sustainability of an oil. Why they require this is not posted anywhere I've found... I'd assume it's the oil pump system which likely builds a lot of heat could be the reason, or if it has any kind of oil cooled turbo which tend to have hot spots that bring oil in excess of 250' F. FYI a conventional oil should only be used on a vehicle that increase oil temperature over 210' F at some point to burn off water in the oil, and under 240' F which is the point at which conventional oils tend to break down and oxidize. Only the mechanical engineers who design the components will know if and where in the engine these numbers are breached. They place requirement on the oils so that vehicle damage doesn't occur. Not because the company has made a deal with Mobil 1 or some other company. There is no requirement anywhere that states a brand or full/semi synthetic. The requirements are performance based. Hence why semi-synthetic oil sometimes meet and or surpass requirements that only full synthetics were thought to be able to pass. I've noticed a few people post with vehicle specific reasons for this requirement... Would you happen to know the exact specification of the 505.01? The database for the petroleum engineers at MST only states 'manufacturer requires thermal specifications to be met or exceeded'. Anyone have the thermal threshold required for an oil to meet this requirement? All I can figure out is that they expected the oil to be a hydro cracked mineral oil product. For those who haven't figured it out I'm going to an engineering school (originally with the purpose of being a mechanical engineer, but that changed this year) with the benefit of having a petroleum engineering department and I have the ability to go look alot of this up... I don't know this off the top of my head as it's not my specialty but I can call a m8 of mine who is specializing in lubricating oils in his major and I get him to look it up for me or tell me. Please if there is a recommendation follow it and don't listen to someone who blatantly ignores recommendations and thinks an oil is only two numbers separated by a W. If you're one of those people please don't tell people about there car and instead go read a book, or go poor some nitrogenous bases into your engine that way you do the damage to your own car and not someone else's. Sorry if that is offensive to anyone but that my rant atm.

Best Answer
85

I work at the dealer, we are currently using castrol syntec SLX 5-30. we recently switched from castrol txt 505.

55

VW GT TDI Owner , Very well said... Spot on. Regards to you Adam.

35

Thank you Adam and all the others for the information. I appreciate it very much and it sure helped me understand better the workings of the new diesel engines. It is sure different from the Diesel Rabbit I had in 1978 with 245 thousand miles on it. It was a great car. Thanks again for your help. HGT Tony unfortunately I live in the Kansas City area or I would have taken your oil glady. Thanks anyway. HGT

5

Do you still have available? I'm NW of Houston and am in need of the oil, too. Thanks, Passat77445.

My VW dealer has done all my oil changes from day one. They use Mobil 1 and I just turned over 241,000 on my VW Jetta. I loved this car sOOOOOO much I just bought a 2005 VW Passat and plan to use the same oil in it. cyfer

Thanks so much for explaining this, Adam! Now I have a good logical reason to present to those who are skeptical of my buying expensive synthetic oil for my tdi passat. And best of luck to you in your engineering pursuit!

I use conklin parasynthetic 5w-30 for my area and it is actually better than amsoil or mobil. It's use is intended for longevity of your engine/car or truck thanks. It depends a lot on your area as to what weight oil you need to put in. We LOVE conklin oil, our shop sells it for more details call phil during working hours 717-684-5050. hope this helps.

New Passat 2.0 tdi enfine use only fully synthetic oil 5W-30 for VWAG 507.00 specification oil. You can use: Castrol Edge Professional LL03 Castrol SLX Gold Mobil 1 ESP formula All this oil are 5W-30 and meet VWAG 507.00 specification oil formula

1,435

Just want to commend Adam for a concise and proper answer. I own an Audi/ Volkswagen private repair shop and can state, with confidence, that usage of the improper oil- one which does not specifically meet the mfr. recommendations- may cause serious problems. And I have not seen any sludging or other internal lubrication issue with these engines when the proper oil is used.